Recoil spring weight for 1911

Keeper

I have a Kimber Stainless Classic and I was thinking of getting a little heavier wolff spring for it. What is the standard spring weight for a full size 1911. Would a 20lb be to much?

Thank you.

Standard spring is 16#

but Wilson supplies & recommends a 18.5# variable. I, myself use a Wolff 22# variable with no problem.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

Hello. I believe that the factory standard for the full-size 1911 .45ACP is 16 or 17 lbs. I use a Wolff conventional 18.5lb recoil spring. Best.

The usual reason given for using a heavy spring is to reduce frame battering when shooting heavy loads. But a heavier spring that softens slide motion in one direction increases it in the other, with more battering of the slide stop pin, barrel, and frame. No free lunch this week!

Jim

There it is, Jim K.

The best spring to use is whatever the factory standard is.

Now, what's the factory standard for the mainspring and firing pin spring?

My wife is using an 8# spring so she can rack it. She does not have much strength due to her health. To reduce frame battering I load her 200gr SWC with only light powder like 5.3 gr herco. I also put shock beffers in the gun. She need not worry about any extra wear for the few serious loads she shoots like her defense round 165gr hydra shocks.

Back