Recoil Sensitive... Walther P99 or Steyr M9

Definitely the Steyr. I've fired the P99 in both calibers. The .40 is a real handful. The M40 that I shot seemed just as controllable as the 9mm Walther. The lower bore axis and grip angle work really well in that respect. Are those the only two plastic guns of that genre that you are considering? No Glock, USP, SigPro etc.?:)

I've owned both and I find the felt recoil on the Steyr much less than the Walther P99. The Steyr just seems to be a softer shooting gun. This is of course subjective.

I own the Walther P99 in 9mm and I think it is a great gun. I thought the Steyr M9 was interesting, but almost too funky looking. I love the look and feel of the P99 so much that I am having a hard time purchasing another gun. Nothing feels as good in my hand as the Walther does.
As far as being recoil sensitive, I would say that the P99 is average, a lot like a Glock. My buddy has a Browning Hi-Power and I have to admit, his gun has a lot less kick. I don't think the recoil is anything you wouldn't be able to handle... Good luck!

i talked with a friend who recently had the chance to fire the Steyr, who has fired my p-99 in 9mm and he said that the Steyr had a touch more recoil. he also found the sights on the steyr a little more difficult to deal with.

Adept

I have the P99 QA "quick action" version in .40.

I have not fired the Steyr, but have handled one. Interestingly, they both seem to be made of the same type of plastic (different from glock). I like the way the P99 is shaped and the way it feels better than the Steyr series. Though the low bore axis seems to be the better design on paper, the P99 just felt better to me.

I found that if you put a grip aid on the P99, like agrip or something like that, it reduced the recoil significantly (at least in my mind).

I think any polymer frame pistol will have more felt recoil than a metal frame gun. The weight of the frame will help dampen the recoil.

I don't have a Steyr but I do have a P99 in .40S&W. I would not say that the P99 is a hard recoiling pistol at all, but I would imagine that the Steyr would be a scooch softer to shoot because of its lower bore alignment.

Between the P99 or the S40, I wouldn't believe there'd be a bad decision in as far as the gun itself, but I am aware of holsters available from nearly every major leatherman for the P99. About the M series, I am not as sure who does and who doesn't have rigs.

Derek

Recently spent time at the range with a 9mm P99 and my Steyr S9. I was renting the P99. The recoil is similar. The P99 is much more ergonomic and comfortable to shoot. I am actually going to trade my S9 on the Walther. I shot the M9 in .40 and 9mm side by side, and the recoil was significantly more with .40. I would like to try the same experiment with the P99 before I choose caliber.

To my experience, Steyr M9 has the lowest muzzle flip I have experienced with any 9 mm, of course compensated guns excluded. Low bore axis and strong grip angle help to get the sights much faster back to the target than with my HK USPC9, for example. Of course, less flip does not mean less recoil, that recoil just comes straight back to the hand. Contrary to what my countryman Tony says I agree with those who say polymer framed guns have less felt recoil. Emphasis is in the word FELT, because lighter gun of course suffers of higher recoil forces, but the polymer frame acts as a damper and softens the recoil force before it reaches the hand.

I have not compared M9 w/ P99 side by side (I sold P99 much before buying M9), but IMHO M9 is a better gun than P99. I also like the triangle/trapezoid sights, while I know some others don't like them at all. But, to every man his own, market economy is great because it is based on the freedom of choice (within some limits, of course).

I have read and heard critical comments about Steyrs M-series, and i'd say these have been teething problems quite similar to early production Walther P99s. Many of the first P99's had reliability problems when that gun was introduced, but the factory took them seriously and there are not many complaints any more. Some of the first Steyrs have also had reliability problems (not mine, I have been luckier w/ M9 than I was w/ P99 some years ago) and complaints about the trigger, but Steyr factory also took it seriously. Current Steyrs should have the problems fixed, and at least my M9, after free trigger upgrade, has a very nice trigger pull, actually better DAO (safe action) pull than many DA/SA guns have in SA.

Ossi

To my experience, Steyr M9 has the lowest muzzle flip I have experienced with any 9 mm, of course compensated guns excluded. Low bore axis and strong grip angle help to get the sights much faster back to the target than with my HK USPC9, for example. Of course, less flip does not mean less recoil, that recoil just comes straight back to the hand. Contrary to what my countryman Tony says I agree with those who say polymer framed guns have less felt recoil. Emphasis is in the word FELT, because lighter gun of course suffers of higher recoil forces, but the polymer frame acts as a damper and softens the recoil force before it reaches the hand.

I have not compared M9 w/ P99 side by side (I sold P99 much before buying M9), but IMHO M9 is a better gun than P99. I also like the triangle/trapezoid sights, while I know some others don't like them at all. But, to every man his own, market economy is great because it is based on the freedom of choice (within some limits, of course).

I have read and heard critical comments about Steyrs M-series, and i'd say these have been teething problems quite similar to early production Walther P99s. Many of the first P99's had reliability problems when that gun was introduced, but the factory took them seriously and there are not many complaints any more. Some of the first Steyrs have also had reliability problems (not mine, I have been luckier w/ M9 than I was w/ P99 some years ago) and complaints about the trigger, but Steyr factory also took it seriously. Current Steyrs should have the problems fixed, and at least my M9, after free trigger upgrade, has a very nice trigger pull, actually better DAO (safe action) pull than many DA/SA guns have in SA.

Sox, if you want to make a fair comparison test you should compare Walther P99 to Steyr M-series of the same caliber. They are about the same size, weight and concealability. Comparing a Subcompact (Steyr S) to a Compact (P99) is not a fair fight.

Ossi

tony s: You might be surprised. One day a friend of mine and I went to the range together. He brought his Glock 30, I brought my full-size M1911. Shooting the same ammo, we both agreed that the Glock 30 had less felt recoil. YMMV.

M1911

Back