Recoil Reduction Device

wirenut

Has anyone seen or used the Harts Recoil reduction guide rod? If so, did it actually reduce recoil or it is just a gimmick? Also,
I,ve seen the recoil spring guide rods with a
small spring built into it. It is said to reduce wear on the gun and reduce felt recoil
by allowing the slide to move slightly farther back than it normally would by using the small spring to cushion the abrupt stop of the slide. My question is: Do any of the
recoil reduction devices out there actually reduce recoil? Does anyone recommend a specific brand?

I bought a Sprinco reduction guide rod for a GLOCK 22 I gave to my father and one for a 1911 of mine. The GLOCK's was made of titanium and the 1911's was made of Stainless steel. Both work exceptionally well and I highly recommend investing in one. Now, if they can just make one for the HK USP that's better than the factory component, I'll buy a dozen of them just out of sheer gratitude.

Got a Harrts for my SIG p220. Works OK. Not really that noticable unless you shoot the heavier stuff. 200 grains and up and there is some difference. All in all, not bad, not great, but good.

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

I have the Harrt's recoil reducer in a Taurus PT92. After 150 rounds, I'm still trying to figure out if it's making a difference. If there is a difference, it is very slight. Tried the Springco in a Browning Hi-Power. Whoa--what problems. Couldn't get the slide release out without hammering it loose. As a memory, there's still a small chip on the frame. Back to Sprinco for a refund.

I have a Harrt's in my G20. Firing single rounds is hardly noticeable but when firing rapid fire you can notice a difference in the recoil. I am not a phsyics major but in laymens words:

I believe that the theory is that the energy created during recoil is being absorbed by the motion of the ball bearings in the mercury contained in the Harrt's recoil reducer. Using the same gun and same ammo, the same amount of energy is produced and is pretty much constant (if you don't nitpick and cite bullet weight and powder charge variances in a lot). Where that energy is used and how is where the Harrt's becomes the variable.

When a single round is fired a some recoil is "soaked up" by the unit. The slide moves back then forward and then stops. The Hartt's may uses a little of the energy generated to move the ball bearings. But when you start to empty a mag- the back and forth motion of the ball bearings and the energy to move them one way, stop, then move another way through the liquid mercury, requires more energy then a single shot and thus the noticeable difference.

If I am wrong, I am sure the doctors of physics will enlighten me!

Back