Recoil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently went to a gun store to look at more 9mm's. I saw a Glock 19 and a Sig 226, both of which I have fired. I also saw a Sig 239 which I have not fired. My question is, is there much difference in felt recoil between the Sig 239 and the other two since it is smaller.

While it is possible to calculate recoil energy in ft/lb it requires a lot of data you may not have. The simplest thing is to compare the weights of the guns. If you've shot a pistol that weighs the same- with the same ammo- then the recoil will have to be close.

There may be a big difference in how it feels to you based on ergonomics etc. but that's subjective.

If you have a 9mm pistol that weighs 2 lb. and has 5 ft/lb of recoil energy if you reduce the weight to 1 lb. it will have 10 ft/lb of recoil. (as long as the ammo nad velocity are the same)

David,

IMHO Once you develope consistant practice habits, recoil w/any of the above pistols will be a moot point. Recoil is a subjective thing, but tends to diminish in importance as one becomes more and more accustomed to his handgun. You may already know this, but since I don't know your experience w/handguns, please excuse me as I do not wish to insult you with info you may be familiar with. There are some loads that have less snap than others, but I think that some gun writers who have nothing better to say, as well as some guys who like to brag about how they suppossedly brussed thier foreheads with the "kick" of the horrendously powered gun that they once shot is the major reason for the recoil issue.

I believe that the 239 has slightly, yet hard to notice more "recoil" than the two others. As for the glock, it is said that the plastic and higher grip to bore axis lessens recoil a little; but with 9mm you won't get much w/any of the above anyway. It can give arguements for why I like SIGs better than Glock, but when it realy comes down to it, it depends on what fits YOUR hand and circumstances the best. I can not address those issues w/out more info.

If you have arthritis, a major back problem, or happen to be one of the minority who do happen to be very recoil sensitive, this is a legitamate concern. If you have access to a shop or friends who will let you check them out and shoot them at the range, this will give you the BEST idea. Double (plugs AND muffs) hearing protection is one of the best solutions to flinch IMHO. If its not flinch, but quick sight pick up thats the concern, I don't know that any one of those will give you measureable difference above another. Grip comfort and pointability will have more to do with that issue than recovery due to recoil.

One last thing. Any of those weapons will serve you very well, but if you are able to check out the 225 model, it is worth the look. It is the small model, between the ones that you mentioned, with a good looking square trigger guard. It seems to feel best in my limited experiences, with those who have average or small hands. Its got a full hammer, yet smaller for CCW than the 226. Q's feel free to contact me EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net .
Best wishes in your quest for the best! :)

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited November 07, 1999).]

In an autoloader, most of the "felt (perceived) recoil" is from the slide hitting the frame. Try this for yourself: Pad the slide with a piece of file card, clamp tightly with a C clamp and fire. The slide, being pinched, will not move rearward. A genuine pussycat!
The more securely you hold a pistol, the less the perceived recoil.
Only a NASA scientist has so far been able to define "recoil" and his explanation took an entire book. Not even J.S. Hatcher attempted a definition. (It goes much deeper than Newton's third law of motion.)
Recoil lasts only a few milliseconds. The effect of the slide bumping the frame takes much longer. So, we are really talking about "muzzle flip" and not "recoil."
If you clamp the slide and suspend the pistol with thin wires, then fire it with an inflatible rubber bulb in the trigger guard, the rearward motion is closer to (but not exactly) a measure of recoil. This is always a great deal less than "perceived" displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back