recoil pad

old fart

i have a h&r pardner pump, i am looking for a recoil pad that will fit it, the factory pad is worn bad and i can't find anything online. i don't want a slip on i would rather try and get a replacement like the one it came with. thanks

Get a Pachmayr Decelerator grind-to-fit pad slightly larger than your current needs. There is a good video on Youtube from Mike Potterfield on how to grind it to fit. Of course, he uses a nice jig fixture and a big fixed disk sander but you can do a pretty dang good job with just a hand-held drill and a sanding disk.

If you want a factory pad, call H&R. My father did that for his gun a number of years ago. If you are going to be shooting it regularly, I would go with an aftermarket upgrade. You could try a pre-fit pad for a Remington 870. It may fit as the gun is a copy.

Pads are not available to fit a particular gun like other parts. They are fitted to stocks individually and that is the only way to properly install one. Pick up on that is large enough to fit above the top while still allowing enough to allow an angle at the bottom that will follow the line of the stock. After attatching, wrap the stock with masking tape and start removing material with a sander until you are close to the tape. You can finish the job with a file and some sandpaper to wrap around it and get the pad fitted very close to the stock.

At least for some guns that isn't true, OldStony. You can get ready fit recoil pads for some models of the most popular shotguns like the Remington 870. The pardner pump is near clone of the 870, which is why I suggested that an 870 pad will work. Most local gun stores even carry them as does Bass Pro.

You are talking about a grind to fit pad, which is what is on my Browning, but some of the pad makers may even make a dedicated pad for an 870. Check online for Limb-Saver, Kwik-Eeze, and Pachmeyer.

I guess I've been out of the loop for too long. I've probably fitted a hundred or more recoil pads in my days...but I've been long retired now and had no idea anyone was making a direct replacement fit for anything. I always preferred a wheel similar to the Raytech expandable type operating at around 1,600 rpm. Nasty job...the black crap ends up everywhere.

Back