recoil pad size?

old fart

I have a Savage Axis 308 that could use a recoil pad as the one on it is getting bad. What is the size of a pad do I need, small, medium or large? I called Savage and they didn't know as they don't have replacement pads. Thanks for any help.

When I need to replace a pad I have my gunsmith do it with a Pachmeyr grind to fit Decelerator pad. No worries about size that way. That pad does an excellent job with recoil as well as looking good. Not the cheapest route but I think it's worth it.
Paul B.

Agreed.

The common practice is to get an oversize pad and grind/shape it to fit the stock. If you're concerned with how it looks, pay a professional to do it, if you don't have the skills to do it yourself.

I found out that the axis isn't made the old way like most synthetic stocks. This is the newer version and the pad and spacer is one piece and installing a slip on after removel makes it too short because of the spacer built into the pad and slip on over the pad makes it too long. I gotta figure something out.

I measured and with a tape I got 4 7/8" or close to that from bottom to top, would that be medium or small? Also would armour all help protect the pad? thanks

Armor All would make it too slick for mot uses; go to Pachmayr and similar sites and look at their sizes. When in doubt, get the larger size and have it ground to fit

I used to give my customers a practical demonstration of how to use Armorall. I’d pick up the bottle and throw it as far away from me as I could. I’ve seen more car interiors and car tires destroyed by that stuff than anything.

But funny to watch when you put some on the brake pedal & steering wheel!!

Ex of mine thought she'd be nice and Armoralled my motorcycle tires!
Took some 120 grit sandpaper to them befor i rode it!

Co worker used to hop & slide on the counter top at work to sit on it.
Boss kept giving him h%!! about it.
Cleaning one day, i Armoralled the counter top.

Yup!

Coworker took his hop & slide on the counter. And promptly went sliding a$$ over tin cups off the other end onto the floor.

I decided to go with BEARTOOTH neoprene recoil pad, made in USA and covers over the bad look of the factory pad. Didn't use the spacers as I don't need them just something to help the looks and prevent the stickiness. Gonna save for a new stock and I hope to have enough saved before November to get one, being on a fixed income makes it hard to save much at a time. thanks for all the help

Back