Recoil pad for 870

BKinzey

Inactive
Who makes a good replacement for a 870 HD? I bought a new 870 Syn HD and am currently doing some upgrades and I'm thinking I should check to see what the reccommendations are for a new recoil pad over the stock pad.

The stock Remington pad isn't all that bad. More effective pads would include the Kick Eze pad, the various Pachmyers, especially the Decelerator, and the Gooey pads the folks over on trapshooters.com are talking about.

Also, if you mount a new pad and don't mind it looking a little odd, don't trim that pad down to fit the wood. Larger area means less pressure at any point.

The important thing is to get the stock fitting you. Lots of old threads on this.

Pachmayr makes a line of Decelerator pads that are supposedly pre-ground to fit factory stocks. I have never seen these in stores, but Brownells carries them.

I don't know what the pads are like on the new Remingtons, but the pad that came on mine was a worthless thin layer of rubber stretched over a hard, hollow plastic box that is part of the spacer.

A new pad made all of the difference in the world with the 3" duck and turkey loads.

I put one of the pre-fit Pachmyars on a '93 Rem. Exp. Magnum a couple of years ago. It was way too big, but pretty easy to fit. Following their directions, I put one layer of masking tape around the end of the stock and used a sanding block to take the pad down until the sandpaper just touched the tape.

It did take some time though.

John

Back