Recoil of PA-63 and P-64 compared to 15 oz J-frame revolver

bricz75

I'm familiar with firing standard pressure 158 grain .38 Special loads through a 15 oz J-frame revolver. The Hungarian PA-63 weighs 20 oz, fires the Makarov round (a little more powerful than a .380). The Polish P-64 weighs 22 oz and fires the Makarov round. I heard these blowback autos like the ones mentioned here can have "snappy" recoil.

How is the recoil of the above mentioned autos compared to the above revolver?

I've owned the P-64 as well as the .32ACP version of the PA-63. Yes, recoil can be a little snappy. A heavier Wolfe recoil spring definitely helps. One problem with both of them that contributes to felt recoil is the small grip that fits right into the web of the hand. That effect will vary from shooter to shooter depending on your hand size. Personally, I was never really bothered by it.

It's been a while since I've shot a .38 J-frame airweight, but the recoil is probably less than the snappy and rather uncomfortable P64. I haven't fired a PA-63 to compare. I do know the Makarov PM is the softest shooting out of any of them, much softer, I can fire a couple hundred rounds at a time with no issues.

I used to own the pa63 in 9x18 and it was pretty snappy, more so than the j frame. Also, if you have large hands as I do, the slide bite will be very noticeable as well.

Tell that to the California DOJ.

They approved the Bulgarian Makarov for sale in their state and it passed the strict drop testing phase just fine. It is is utter nonsense that the Makarov PM is not drop safe, the free floating firing pin was specifically designed to be light enough to be safe in that configuartion.

Now the Polish P64, THAT is not a drop safe design. There is more than one recent account of one discharging when dropped. But the Makarov? Show me ONE. It is a very safe and reliable pistol, even safer than a Series 70 design 1911 in fact. Keep in mind the AR-15, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, all have free floating firing pins. That fact does not make them inheritantly unsafe because they were engineered to be safe, this is no different than a Makarov.

But hey, it's the internet and one liners like yours get repeated ad nauseum and eventually turn into rumors by people who don't do their own research.

Last edited:
Back to the original statements of dealing with snappy recoil.
Whether it's a revolver or a blow back auto, the amount of recoil is directly associated with technique.
Yes, it's more about the skill of the shooter than the gun.
Unfortunately, folks seem to want to go to great lengths concerning themselves with the gun, rather than improving their techniques.
Mores the pity, although gun dealers benefit from all the swapping and trading.
Just a thought.

The firing pin of a Makarov is triangular in shape and not round like all other pistols. This is so that only 1/3 of the pin touches the sides of the channel it rides in at any given time and location. It comes to a pointed, but blunt tip, that actually strikes the primer. I conducted an experiment this morning can tell you with certainty striking of the gun hammer with a brass hammer will ignite a primer. I conducted this experiment with several brands of ammunition. The Russian stuff, Tula, Silver Bear, Brown Bear did not ignite the primer however I was getting a constant ignition with American Horniday Critical Defense while holding the gun straight up. The gun was a Bulgarian Mak!

OOPS! California!

Then you better get that gun checked out because it should not be doing that. They have a rebounding hammer that stops the hammer from hitting the firing pin if the trigger is not pulled.

They have done stranger things in California. I noticed that you only mention the Bulgarian Mak and not the Chinese or the German renditions! I am curious as to why?

Because the "safe certification" requirements in CA are best described as onerous (manufacturer must submit 3 samples of each model to be added to the roster to the state for testing, etc.). Even though we as owners and shooters consider Chinese and German Maks the same as Bulgarian, the state likely considers them separate models and therefore would require a separate certification for each of them.

I have a Taurus 85UL so comparable (I believe to the S&W AW) and my son has a PA-63; I'd say recoil is comparable but I can see how the slide movement on the latter can make recoil feel a bit snappier. The PA-63 did sting my hand after a few mags (his too) and I don't really don't get that with the snubbie. He put a stronger Wolff recoil spring in his and it makes a significant difference; with that I'd say the PA-63 now has noticeably less recoil and doesn't sting the hand. I rather like the PA-63 and would probably pick one up if I happened across one for a decent deal. Never shot a P64 so no input there

Back