Recoil of 45/70 vs. others

deepforest27

Inactive
I know this is an objective question, but what I'm looking for is opinion/fact based on real world experience. I'm a relatively small guy (5'10" -- 165). I don't like recoil that much (who does?), but I'm curious...all things being equal as they say, which will be more uncomfortable, a 45/70 in whatever grain, or a modern spitzer type 30 cal round, i.e 30-06, 308? This will help determine what I will buy. Thanks guys...

It would be fair to say that the 45-70, at least with modern loadings, will thump your shoulder a lot harder than any 30 caliber. However, there are always exceptions, and one would involve the use of an extremely light weight 30 caliber, as they can sometimes kick far beyond what is normally experienced. However, the two calibers are capable of doing two entirely different jobs. If you need a gun for long range shooting, the 45-70 is probably a poor choice. But if you need a gun for really heavy game out to about 150-200 yards, the 45-70 is hard to beat.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

I agree with Mr. Garrett. I had (notice "had") a 45-70 single shot Browning. I loaded up what the manuals indicated were loads for "modern rifles in new condition" and man did it "thump" me. In fact, the 45-70 in the Browning single shot hit harder than my .375 H&H in the Browning Safari Bolt gun.

Ankeny,

Why did you get rid of your Browning single shot? I'm a big fan of 45-70 single shots, but do prefer the Ruger #1, mostly because of the shorter length and ease of scoping. However, it kicks even harder than the Browning! Having said that though, my Ruger #1 with a 4 power Leupold scope gives me MOA accuracy, and even better than that on a good day. However, I used to load a 400-grain Barnes X-Bullet at 2000-fps for the gun, and man that combo would hurt you! The recoil was so harsh that it really got in the way of accuracy evaluation. These days I just use my Ruger #1 with my own cast bullet loads, and although stout they are tolerable. Truly a guy has to be single shot fanatic to shoot those guns, as the Marlins are far more pleasant to shoot than the Ruger or Browning single shots.
www.garrettcartridges.com

The Marlin guide gun with the ported barrel and the stock recoil pad, is a very tolerable shooting weapon with factory ammo. Great brush gun for any large to medium game less then 150 yds. Nice thing is you can bump it up quite a bit with reloads, and there are a few specialty loads available from some of specialty ammo manufacturers, which will allow to bump it almost up to the large magnum range for the largest of game. That flexibilty is what sold me on the Marlin.

Gotta say I found the Marlin Guide gun I shot purred like a pussycat (compared to a 30-06 shooting federal premium 165 grain sbt's). Recoil was firm.. but rolling. (more like a shove than a punch) Easy to stay on target with iron sights at 50 yards and empty the magazine in rapid fire.

In fact, the recoil (from this rifle) was so slight, it made me consider buying a 45-70 double rifle. Maybe its the rifle/cartridge combo but the guide gun certainly was certainly within my tolerance of recoil. (I'm 5-11/175).

Its nowhere NEAR the recoil of a 12 guage shooting slugs.

hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

Randy,
If you think a Ruger #1 kicks, you should try the now out of production Ruger#3. It's paper thin barrel makes this a real light weight. In fact I mounted a totally inappropriate 3X9 scope on it as it was the heaviest I had. I cast my own Lyman 405 grain flatnose bullets and cruise them along at around 1400 fps which is pretty comfortable, moa accuracy too.
At the range, with hotter loads, I've taken to putting a sandbag between the gun and my shoulder to absorb some of the impact. Out in the field, either plinking, or game hunting, (desert mulies, or Javalina), I never even notice the recoil as is probably the case with most of us.

Tabing,

I sure would have to agree with you about those Ruger #3s. Wow, do they ever kick hard with a big load! It is something how much the recoil is reduced when the same loads are fired in a Marlin lever-gun. When shooting from the bench a good sand bag between the shoulder and the butt stock is indeed a big help with those feisty single-shots.
www.garrettcartridges.com

Ditto on the comments on the Marlin Guide Gun. I like its handiness even compared to a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 and there's no question of its hitting power out to 150 yards or so.

At the shooting bench, where you'll really notice the recoil, you need to make sure you use a slip-on recoil pad or maybe a light jacket and get a good hold of the gun.

In the field, shooting at game, you probably won't notice the recoil unless you let the gun get a "running start". My theory anyway based on previous experience at shooting game and shooting the Marlin standing while trying to get a scope on paper at 12 yards (I haven't had a good shot at a deer yet, but I have until Feb. 1, wish me luck!).

Hope this helps.

Albin

Randy:

I sold the Browning to finance another project. Just wasn't using it and had the wants real bad for something else. I like the Browning and Rugers very much. I like the Dakota even better, but it is a bit expensive.

A friend of mine used to hunt deer with the .45-70, he said that you shot the deer and the first one back on their feet wins :)

Another Ditto on the Marlin Guide Gun. For aesthetic value, I prefer my sharps or my Browning 1886 (Both in .45-70); however, the little Guide Gun is extrememly cool!

Because of my very long length of pull, I have to slip another butt pad on any rifle I own, so the recoil is VERY mild. I also put a set of Ashley Outdoor sights (Ghost Ring rear) on it, which makes it a dream gun.

Great little piece of hardware, if you can find one!

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966

One more endorsement of the Marlin Guide Gun: the ports must be working - I find the felt recoil quite mild... 'firm but rolling' is quite a good description. The Ashley sights are worthwhile, an improvenment over the factory buckhorn sights (quite good also, but the Ashley is better).

So far have shot factory ammo and will start reloading as soon as I have a good supply of shells: Recoil will probably be higher, as most manufacturers load 45/70 for possible shooting in older guns.

I have a friend with an 1886 Roth-Steyr that has been chambered in 45-70. I think it was called a "Kropatchek" conversion or something like that. It is a heavy duty gun, but recoil feels mild, more of a push than anything. I find that a lighter 30-06 has more of a sudden thump. I'm 6'4" and weigh 275. Recoil usually isn't a problem for me unless the stock is too short.

Well I must put my two cents worth in to this conversation.

I am a huge 45-70 fan. I used this forum to help me decide on a 45-70. I got recommendations for the Ruger #1 and the Marlin 1895SS (pre-guide gun recommendations)

It was a dead heat, so I bought them both. My Ruger is scoped with a leupold 4x and is awesome. It is a 200th liberty model and I would trade my dog before this gun.

My Marlin is not scoped but I am going to put a tang sight on it.

Both guns KICK. Period. Especially with modern loads. Boy do they kick. But then I am not plinking with them so the kick is sort of fun. My wife says I am a sadist or a masochist we dont know which likes pain.

Seriously, neither gun will hurt you if you dont go shoot a bunch of rounds. I imagine that if you shot a lot in one sitting then you would need a good heating pad and some muscle cream.

I will end with this, my Marlin is my hog hunting gun and my ruger is my deer gun. Nothing like the commanding presence of a 45-70.

God bless.

Your friend,
Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm. Judge Blachkhawk

Sadist is one who likes to inflict pain on others.

Masochist is one who likes to inflict pain on himself.

So...wonder no more! :)

Hueco

Back