recoil of .416 Rigby...?

genephillips

Inactive
I'm considering getting .416 Rigby but i'm
concerned about the recoil. The heaviest recoil i've experienced so far was with a lightweight 12 gauge single-shot with 3in. mag slugs and found it very unpleasant. Would the .416 kick harder?

Recoil is such a subjective thing that others comments (mine too) have to be taken lightly.

The stock design plays a huge part in the shooters perception. Quick examples - buddy of mine had a .416 Rigby stocked in a "Coil-Chek" style by A-Square. It was very comfortable. 'Nother friend has a .270 in a Winchester Featherweight. The scope is all wrong for me and when I test fired it, it kicked the fool out of me. I would rather shoot the .416 mentioned.

Figure out what you want your cartridge/bullet to do first and then take a look at what rifle/stock/sight combination works.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Excellent point, Gizmo---

Subjectivity of the shooter (personality and body type play here), stock design, and ammo all make for a wide varience in the recoil felt when shooting a rifle. A perfect example is the .303 SMLE in the plain Jane service rifle, which probably weighs 9 lbs. That SMLE will smack the HECK out of my shoulder, every time! This with a cartridge that barely reaches .308 equivelant?!? :o But then I shot a sporterized #5 .303 that was lighter, but had a good stock and buttpad, and found that I could shoot it all day long... Difference was stock design. My .300 Win Mag Sendero doesn't kick much with its Butler Creek stock, but perhaps that's also a function of the fact the rifle weighs almost 12 lbs!

Remember that you're going to be practicing from the bench with a recoil pad on your shoulder (try the Past magnum recoil sheild for long bench shooting sessions. They work, and I'm NOT a weinie-- I just love to shoot long and hard.), and that recoil felt when free-standing is far lessened, assuming good shoulder-stock weld. Rifle-load combos that will have people crying tears of pain from the bench can feel like a meer hard shove when shot from free-standing off-hand positions. And, given the game the .416 was designed to hunt, isn't that how you really ought to be practicing? :)

Go ahead and get it, Gene...

L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

A 3" 12 gauge from a single shot has to be one of the hardest kicking guns around. I have a couple of 458s plus a few other big bores.

Most are light guns 7.5 and up and none of them kick as much as a single 12 would, imo. Weight of the gun makes a BIG difference as does stock design and material.

Most recommend a 9/10# Rigby. It would be a pussy cat to shoot imo. A Winchester Express in 416 is a 9.75# and it's no big deal with full house 400gr loads. My 458 with 500s and a weight of 8# is bearable for long strings of standing shooting. A bit of a bear off the bench.

Buy one and take the time and effort to learn how to shoot it. It does take time and some effort to acclimatise to a big bore gun. But, it's worth the effort and they are fun :) Good luch and goodshooting :)

------------------
R.D. Burns
Burnscustom.com

Back