Recoil management. Typically, which is more effective?

Pond James Pond

When thinking long guns which would you say is more effective at mitigating recoil, all other things being equal: A recoil pad (slip-on or screw-on) for the rifle butt, or a recoil had that is worn on the body using a sling type harness?

I use both, sometimes at the same time, depending on the amount of recoil, like from 12 gauge slugs for example.
The shoulder pad version has one drawback - if it's too large it can put pressure on the shooter's neck and throat when the gun is mounted.
And they are thinner, providing less protection than the stock mounted version.
So I mostly depend on the ones on the gun stock, unless more is needed.

Ok. So it seems the ones fitted to the gun are best. This is important as it means buying two for two guns send not one for one shoulder.

A screw on buttstock one that is SPECIFICALLY designed for recoil reduction. (Not all are)
Very true, unfortunately.
I was looking at a brand name auto loader shotgun.
The recoil pad seemed very good, until discovering it was just a thin layer of rubber over a hard plastic shell.
Anyone buying it would have gotten a big surprise with the first shot.

Pond, James Pond asked:

Recoil management. Typically, which is more effective?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When thinking long guns which would you say is more effective at mitigating recoil, all other things being equal: A recoil pad (slip-on or screw-on) for the rifle butt, or a recoil had that is worn on the body using a sling type harness?

To answer your question: The PAST harness recoil shield and the T-Shirt EvoShield are more effective than a just a recoil pad on the rifle butt.

Well, I ended up buying two Uncle Mike's slip-ons. One for each shotgun.

I realise they are not as good as fixed ones but they were, together, cheaper than a single Pachamyr -lip-on or otherwise...

Being from a local shop I also got them without postage costs.

They do feel quite absorbent, so we will see.

The only remaining question is should I store them on or off...?

I would leave them on the shotgun. I have one on one and each time you take it off you are taking a chance on tearing it especially as it ages.

I have a recoil check pad on my Remington 870 Law Enforcement in 12 gauge. It helps from picking-up a flinch and teeth rattle.:D

Back