Recoil/Knockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valdez

I was having an argument recently with a friend on the difference between gun recoil and the knockdown power of a handgun round, say one that impacts a hard trauma plate on a bullet proof vest.

He convinced me of one thing. The recoil of the gun won't necessarily be equal to the force of the round hitting the plate because a round is a form of shaped charge. The primer launches the propellant out the barrel with the bullet and burns over time.

So here's the question. How much of a difference does this shaped charge effect make? Or in other words is the felt recoil force much less than the impact force?

I may be poorly stating this question but I'd like some insight. Thanks in advance.

Valdez,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>the knockdown power of a handgun round[/quote]

Sorry but there is no such animnal. The term "Knockdown" infers that the force of a bullet fired from a handgun has the power to knock a man down and it simple does not.

------------------
John - NRA - Lifer

I believe that the recoil force is equal to the force that is imparted to the bullet to get it to leave the barrel. It's just that the mass of the weapon and the bullet are so unequal that the weapon moves a lot slower compared to the projectile.

At the target, the power imparted to the target is a function of caliber, bullet weight, and construction.

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

For every action there is an EQUAL and opposite reaciton. Hey it sounds good? I think the recoil is same as energy used to propell the bullet just that it is dispersed over much larger area (grip, stock) and gun weight is such that it appears to recoil over a longer period of time (compared to how long it takes for bullet to leave). Dont know if this is all bs, its just how I figured it would workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back