Reciprocity Purchasing

Sgt.Fathead

Was on a vacation trip week of October the 5th driving back from a family reunion in MN (which we had flown to) all the way to our little cottage in NJ. The wife navigates, which I am honestly crap at, and I drive, which she is honestly crap at. She's great at all else.

Stopping off at a WalMart in IA, we of course browsed the Sporting goods section. According to the handy political map of the U.S. found in each Wally World Gun Dept., we discovered we could use our NJ Firearms ID Cards to buy long guns in IA. We passed on a Mossberg Maverick 20g slug gun for the wife (way, way cheaper thatn NJ) and I kicked myself all the way to Ohio, the next state where we were allowed purchase rights. I bought the wife a Stoeger Upland 20g side by side at a Fin, Fur and Feather store. I felt better.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

Where do I find a listing of what states I can make in-person firearms purchases in? We were bummed to find, at another Wally World in IN, that only IN residents and residents of states geographically surrounding IN could purchase boomsticks there. Forget IL!

Incidentally, we use WalMart as our bank when we road trip around. Buy a pack of chewing gum and you can still get $100.00 cash back, no out of state or out of bank ATM fee. We also use it, frankly, to get food and drink items we do not have in NJ. Like Bertman's Mustard of Cleveland and Squirt citrus pop (soda) which we can never find.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that IN is so strict on the rifle subject. I was under the impression that you could go to any state to purchase LONGARMS.
I was in NY a couple years ago. While they certainly do NOT honor my pistol permit, they had no problem selling me a semi-auto rifle.

I was under the impression that you could go to any state to purchase LONGARMS.

That is correct - so long as the purchase is (a) from an FFL and (b) complies with the law of both states (the purchaser's home state and the FFL's state). Thats said, many FFL's/gun stores will not sell to residents of other states simply because they do not know the law of the buyer's home state and do not want to risk their license on such a sale.

Where do I find a listing of what states I can make in-person firearms purchases in?

You can purchase long guns (no handguns) in any state directly from an FFL, but as stated above, the sale must comply with the law of your state and the FFL's state. You cannot purchase any guns (handguns or long guns) directly from a non-FFL in another state. As to your question above, you're not going to find an easy answer - it really depends on each gun store/FFL's policy as to whether they will sell to a resident of another state.

I was refused sale of a rifle in an Alabama gun shop while a resident of Kentucky. The man said he could only sell handguns to AL residents and long guns to residents of AL or an adjacent state. Whether this was store policy or a weird law of some type I don't know. Shaggy's post leads me to believe it was the former.

I understand about handguns-only in your state or thru a FFL.

I have noted that WM has a map showing who can and cannot. I thought there were no restrictions on longguns-only WM policy// Ill be watching posts here.

I was in KY a couple of months ago at Wally World. Big sign in the gun rack. No sales to anyone from a state that did not border KY.

Back