Rechambering an arisaka type 38

Connor M.

Inactive
I just picked up an early war arisaka type 38 and 375 ruger Barrel blank and I’m wondering if anyone here has tried rechambering one to this or a similar sized cartridge. -Thanks in advance, Connor.

I doubt anyone has tried that. I wouldn't think its a good idea.

The Type 38 Arisaka was chambered for the 6.5mm Arisaka round (6.5x50mm)
So, first off, I don't think a .375 Ruger round will fit. Its too long. Specs say loaded length of the .375 Ruger is the same as loaded length of the .30-06 round, and I think that's just too long to fit in the Type 38 action which is made for a round with a loaded length of 2.940"

It MIGHT work for length with a Type 99 action the 7,7mm Jap is max length at 3.150". I don't know if there is enough extra room there to allow the 3.340" length of the .375 Ruger, but I'm sure the room isn't there in a Type 38 action.

Second point even if it did fit for length, you'd need bolt face and receiver rail work to fit and feed the significantly fatter Ruger round, and last point,

According to Wiki, the 6.5 Jap is a slightly under 43000psi round.
The .375 Ruger is listed at 62,000psi.

Putting a round in a rifle that generates a third more pressure than what the rifle was built for is generally thought of as a BAD IDEA.

For a .375 Ruger, you need (at least) a .30-06 length action, either with or adaptable to a magnum size bolt face, and able to take 62,000 psi loads.

The Type 38 Arisaka does NOT meet any of those requirements, Sorry.

Connor M. said:
I just picked up an early war arisaka type 38 and 375 ruger Barrel blank 

The .375 Ruger cartridge probably won't fit in your magazine as you've already been told. If you wanted a single shot bolt action you could probably make the action work. If your barrel is an .375 caliber blank that hasn't been chambered for the Ruger cartridge then you might have some options. A 6.5X50 overall length is 2.940" so you might be able to fit a cartridge like .375 JDJ 2.975" overall length in your magazine as there is only 0.035" difference.

Now that we found a cartridge that could possibly work, there are several issues to work out. The fist issue is who is going to do the work? There aren't very many gunsmith who will want to take on a job of sporterizing an Arisaka. You'll also be going to a rimmed cartridge so there will probably be feeding issues with the magazine and feed Rais to work out.

In the end it'll cost WAY more than just buying a rifle chambered in .375 Ruger. Your second best and cheapest option would be to purchase any modern bolt action rifle in 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag and have your barrel blank installed. I've messed with a few military sporter rifles over the years, no matter how cheaply you buy them, they just drain your wallet and your patience.

Years back I had a Type 99 chambered in 6.5-06, and it was difficult getting that into the mag of the longer action. A Type 38 will be OK for 308 based cartridges, not something magnum length. A Type 99 would be a good bet. And, yeah, sporterizing military rifles is expensive. And Arisakas are a pain.

A lot of T38s were rechambered to 6.5 x .257 Roberts, pretty much a 6.5x57.

So a 9.5x57 Mauser (.375 - 2 1/4" Express in England) should fit.

The biggest problem with rebarreling an Arisaka is the metric threads that have never really been used anywhere but in Japan.

As I understand it there's no true English equivalent.

In order to use an English thread barrel, you'd likely need to bore the receiver and sleeve it...

The biggest problems with that course of action?

1. Arisaka receivers tend to be VERY hard.

2. Expense.

3. There may simply not be enough meat in the Arisaka's receiver ring to safely bore and sleeve it.

Gotta ask, though.. Why?

Of all of the WW II era rifles available for sporterization, the Arisaka is near, if not at the bottom, of the list in my opinion. It's a lot like the Moisin Nagant acxtions... crude, durable, workable, but with none of the finesse that would allow it to become a good sporting rifle.

Right. This is one of those projects that would be an interesting challenge if you had the equipment and knowhow to do it yourself. The cost for a gunsmith makes it unfeasible.

I have the equipment to do it and I’m doing it for one of my school barrel and chambering projects. As for the why? I’m attempting it because nobody else has and I thought it could be kinda neat if it works out. It was already poorly sporterized when I purchased it so I don’t feel to bad about the notion of messing with a piece of history.

All the type 38 barrels I have measured have been right at 1 / 14 inch . A barrel threaded to 1 / 14 screws in well .

I’m doing it for one of my school barrel and chambering projects. As for the why? I’m attempting it because nobody else has and I thought it could be kinda neat if it works out.

If it doesn't work, do you flunk the course?

It was already poorly sporterized when I purchased it so I don’t feel to bad about the notion of messing with a piece of history.

That's good.

OK, so that information makes quite a different.

We had no clue you were going to do the work yourself. We (or at least I) was assuming you were going to pay to have this done.

Pressure is not an issue. The Arisaka is one of the strongest actions made. PO Ackley tried to blow one up but failed. The big problems with them is there are no parts available and the design was so funky. For example: no way to rework the safety for scope use since it is part of the bolt and controls bolt operation, no aftermarket triggers available, things like that.

How would the original safety have a scope clearance problem ? Arisaka Triggers are very easy to work to whatever pull and weight you would like .

I used to own a scoped Arisaka, the safety is a pain.
The Arisaka safety sits on the back of the bolt, you operate it by pushing and turning with the heel of the hand. If there's a scope in the way it's hard to get to.

Polishing military triggers seldom gives a good trigger pull. Timney used to make a trigger for the Arisaka, I doubt they still do.

I work the safety with my thumb , no scope problem . The last match Arisaka I did had a 4 oz , no creep military trigger with 10 minutes work .

I have an Arisaka 38 that I bought nine years ago with a nice Bishop stock on it. It had been sporterized. It was in the issued 6.5X50 caliber. I re-barreled it with a cheap Midway barrel and chambered it in 6.5X57 Mauser which I already had dies for. Also put a Timmey trigger w/thumb safety in it and had it blued. It is a very nice shooter. Several winters ago I checkered and refinished the stock.

Attachments

• P2050001.JPG
    P2050001.JPG
    761.2 KB · Views: 56
  • P2050003.JPG
    P2050003.JPG
    582.3 KB · Views: 50
Back