rechambering a .22 rifle

nedfig

Can a .22LR be reamed out to accept .22WMR? I know the action may not be long enough.

If it was a bolt action, would the bolt be strong enough to take the pressures?

Thanks

I think the bore diameters are a tad different on the RCH scale...

.222 (LR) v. .224 (WMR), is that correct engineers? You may be able to drive a bigger bullet down the bore but the soft steel will wear faster I would think.

Nedfig, I've never done it but I've seen it done successfully with a few rifles. You need to slug the bore to get an accurate measurement of the groove diameter. If it's .224" or larger then the barrel should be ok. As to the strength of the bolt I'd ask the manufacturer. Sometimes they'll tell you and sometimes they will just say "We don't recommend.....". Depending on the design of the bolt face it may need to be opened up and there will probably be adjustments to the extractor needed as well. There may or may not be enough room between the opened bolt and chamber for the longer round. Several factors to consider. George

Another consideration is that most .22 LR barrels are made of soft steel and intended only for lead bullets at moderate velocities. Firing a .22 WMR in those barrels will soon destroy it.

Jim

Back