Recently Bought a Second Beretta 70S This One in .380 ACP

wachtelhund1

In 1985 I returned from a tour in Sicily, Italy with six handguns. One was a Beretta 70S in .22lr. It is the only one of the six pistols that I still have. I love that little pistol and have kill loads of small game with it over the years. I've always wanted a Beretta 70S in .380 ACP, but never purchased one and thought I would never find one as they stop making them in 1985. During the last two months I had a bug to buy a Beretta 84 in .380. I searched the internet for several weeks and finally found an un-fired Beretta 84 (in factory box with two mags for $399.00, a great price).

At the same time that I received my Beretta 84, I was contacted by Proxibid. Late one night while searching for the Beretta 84, I had bid on a lot of two Beretta model 70S pistols, one a .22lr and the second in .380 ACP. I didn't recall the bid, but decided to pay for the lot. The .22lr turned out to be a Beretta 948. A model proceeding the model 70S. However, to my surprise the .380 was an un-fired Model 70S.

I just finished firing the Beretta 948 in .22lr and the Beretta 70S in .380 ACP. Both fired without any FTF or FTE. The 948 was dead on. The 70S was shooting to the left. I took it to my gunsmith and used his sight push to move the rear site to the right, It is also shooting dead on, now. :) :)

I've owned all of the guns mentioned except the .380 model 70. All are worth having in one's collection. My personal favorite is the 70S .22lr. A beautiful little gem. Enjoy your new Berettas.

My Beretta collection (from top to bottom):

Beretta 948 22lr.
Beretta 70S 22lr
Beretta 70S .380 ACP
Beretta 84BB .380 ACP

wOUUWY8a_o.jpg

Last edited:
In 1985 I returned from a tour in Sicily, Italy with six handguns. One was a Beretta 70S in .22lr. It is the only one of the six pistols that I still have. I love that little pistol and have kill loads of small game with it over the years. I've always wanted a Beretta 70S in .380 ACP, but never purchased one and thought I would never find one as they stop making them in 1985. During the last two months I had a bug to buy a Beretta 84 in .380. I searched the internet for several weeks and finally found an un-fired Beretta 84 (in factory box with two mags for $399.00, a great price).

At the same time that I received my Beretta 84, I was contacted by Proxibid. Late one night while searching for the Beretta 84, I had bid on a lot of two Beretta model 70S pistols, one a .22lr and the second in .380 ACP. I didn't recall the bid, but decided to pay for the lot. The .22lr turned out to be a Beretta 948. A model proceeding the model 70S. However, to my surprise the .380 was an un-fired Model 70S.

I just finished firing the Beretta 948 in .22lr and the Beretta 70S in .380 ACP. Both fired without any FTF or FTE. The 948 was dead on. The 70S was shooting to the left. I took it to my gunsmith and used his sight push to move the rear site to the right, It is also shooting dead on, now. :) :)
Back in the later 80s I bought a 70s in .22....it was the only .22 LR auto pistol I have owned that was 100% reliable, then or since, and this includes a bunch of Ruger "Marks". But it had an adjustable rear sight and a somewhat jagged , high, front sight and it shot about 6 inches high with the rear sight bottomed out.

I had to file the rear sight down to where there was barely a notch but after that, the pistol was a joy to shoot. I ended up trading it in for one of the first Ruger P-85s to hit the area and as so many have said of guns they wish they still had "have mourned it's passing ever since" :)

Back