Recently bought a pig in a poke

jrsgunbooks

Inactive
I bought about a dozen old rifles and shotguns from an elderly lady who wanted them out of her house. Her late husband was a collector and she doesn't like guns at all.

So I made her what I thought was a fair offer on the bunch and have spent the last week trying to figure them out.
The internet helps some but this one has me stumped.

It is marked FAB.NAT D'ARMES DE GUERRE
HERSTAL-BELGIQUE

The crest has been mostly scrubbed off by some idiot with a polisher.
However when I took the receiver out of the stock I saw some markings.
Here are the pics:
IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

If anyone has any ideas where I can find more info or if anyone knows what this rifle is I would greatly appreciate it.

welcome to TFL

Its an FN built Mauser in military configuration.

Seems to be a model 98 but I can't tell for sure. Could be in any one of several different calibers used by various armies around the world as FN made the rifles that supplied many countries.

I'm no expert and far from well versed in the many possible variations, sorry.

take it to a gunsmith and have the bore slugged and a chamber cast done. That should identify its caliber and chambering.

Its possible it could be some rare variant, and worth a bit, despite the abuse, or it could be just another common tired old war horse worth what the market will bring for its parts, or something inbetween.

I have a book with those proof marks in it, but its well buried somewhere, if I can find it I'll check them out. As a GUESS it might be an 8mm Mauser, based on the 7.9M marking but that's just a guess.

Its pre WWII and might be pre WWI but I think made between the wars is likely.
again, just a guess

Thanks 44amp.
That is more information than I had.

The gun is actually in decent shape. I've got a cleaning rod and lock screws on order to make it complete.

I haven't had much luck on the markings but the 7.9 makes sense.

Last edited:
FN manufactured Mauser 98 variants starting in the 1920s, the Models 24 and 30.

They were manufactured at the same time, but had different characteristics. I believe the Model 24 generally had a straight bolt handle (the type found on the WW I Gew 98 rifle) and the Model 30 had the K98k style turned down bolt handle.

Chamberings included 7, 7.65, and 8mm Mauser, .30-06 and 7.62x51 as well as .22 caliber training variants.

That it's stamped 7.9 means that it is, or at least was, chambered in 8x57 Mauser.

.30-06 was a common variant, but by no means the most numerous.

Thank you Mike.

It has the straight bolt handle so that narrows it down to a Model 24.
I forgot to mention that the stock has a brass disk (can't read anything on it)
and numbers stamped deeply into it and then crossed out and new ones stamped.

IMG_0905 (1).jpg

OK, based on the straight bolt handle, the caliber, and the location/type of the sling swivels, I'm thinking that's an FN M24 made under contract for Yugoslavia.

Pretty common. Good solid rifle. Pity someone took after the crest with a grinder.

Yugo Mausers are fun. They had a big run at the tail end of the military bolt action, just before everyone moved to semi auto. They didn’t see much if any action, so generally in great shape. Value wise, they are on the lower side because of it, so nowhere near as much guilt around sportizing one or altering it.

I have a Persian Mauser I wouldn’t dare alter and don’t shoot much at all. While it’s not grade A or the much coveted bent handle carbine, it still has historical value among collectors so any alteration is a major no no!

I almost picked up a Yugo Mauser to play with, but quite honestly, those rifles are so nice and shoot so well, other than putting on a pansy pad on the butt stock, I’m not sure I would have done much to it either. Just because they have less value today, folks are tearing them all all day long so won’t be long before they gain some good value.

I’ve seen modern stocks for them that are quite nice. Could keep the wood in great condition and still have fun with the rifle. The 8mm Mauser with that metal butt plate kick like a mule. I’ve certainly gained far more respect for the men who carried them and their lead weighted ammo all over Europe. About 20 shots and I need a massage and a lollipop. Hence the reference to the pansy pad.

If you want to have some fun startling everyone around you at the range, try and find a 7mm variant. The dust literally jumps off the ground when you fire those. If you take a shot…say every 15 minutes at an outdoor rage, everyone forgets how loud it is and gets to change their diapers all over again!!! The 8mm…not so much!

They are a fun rifle to shoot. I was shocked at how accurate mine was at 500 yards with the iron sights the first time out. They just don’t make them like that today. Congrats and have fun!

Back