Recent Shootings

John W

Inactive
I have a couple of questions about the recent shootings in Atlanta and
Alabama. I haven't seen these issues addressed in the media, nor have I
been able to find answers online.

1) Did any of the businesses where shootings occurred post against
concealed carry, or otherwise prohibit their employees from carrying?

2) Were any of the employees of the businesses where shootings occurred, or
anyone else on the premises, legally authorized to carry concealed?

I ask these questions because I'd like to know if someone could have carried
(and possibly protected themselves or others) but didn't because of
restrictions imposed by the businesses.

My employee handbook says that anyone caught with a firearm in possession, will be terminated immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if most businesses have similar rules.

My employer has the same rules--instant termnation on the spot. About a year or so ago we had two guys clowing around with a couple of knives the company provides for use in the co., one of the fools cuts the other one and now if anyone is carrying a knife other than an issue knife they can be fired-----notice the knee jerk here....they were using co. knives.......sheesh...durn need to pass rules on everything....I still carry my spyderco....fubsy.

I think you need to blame the lawyers for this... it doesn't necessarily make your company anti-gun.

All of my businesses in the U.S. have a no-weapons clause in their employee handbooks and I own them. It is required by our insurance carriers. As an employer, I am ultimately liable for anything that happens on company grounds unless we have such a disclaimer. If there is an accidental discharge or an argument that turns to gunplay, I'm the one who'll have to pay the bill regardless of who's fault it is. God bless America.

Enforcement is another deal altogether. We don't search desks, briefcases or lockers. We have, however, fired a few people for violating this clause. Concealed carry is just that... Concealed. It's more that just physical concealment, it also means keeping your mouth shut. Anyone who feels the need to be the "big man" and brag about carrying a gun in order to make the secretaries nervous... doesn't need to be working for me. Anyone who leaves a gun in an unsecured place (unattended desk, unlocked locker) where someone else can find it doesn't need to work for me either. But, if no one knows about it then, well, it just isn't there is it.

My main office has regular "range nights" and a company sponsored one at least once a year. Taking clients on hunting weekends is also a frequent event. Our HR dept. has all the Eddie Eagle stuff to give out for those who want it, and they also provide self-defense classes (mostly for female employees and wives) which often include firearms. We're not all that bad.

I didn't mean to get off on a rant here. I have many people come into my office and complain about the policy. I tell them I agree, but there's nothing I can do. It would seem to those of us who know better that insurance companies would give discounts to companies that allowed CCW holders to be armed. Recent events will either open that door or slam it shut. Sadly, I think it will probably be the latter.

Thanks for the info on insurance, JJR. I've wondered what chance I might have of convincing my employer to allow CCW employees to carry at work, especially in light of the recent, and not so recent, workplace shootings.

The company has over 10,000 employees world-wide and the policies aren't made by the manager of the plant I work in, so there's probably not much chance.

I wonder if CCW employees could sign a waiver of some kind? Or would the potential victims of ADs and arguements-into-gunplay also need to sign?

-boing

Back