Receiver markings on custom rifle?

Full-choke

I have a custom 375 H&H rifle that I had purchased a while back. I inspected the gun and it shoots just fine, so I never gave it much thought. Upon my trying to sell the rifle, some people have asked some questions I can't answer.

Most want to know who made the receiver and barrel. The barrel has no markings other than "375 HH". The receiver on the other hand has a few that I can't figure out. The first is on the outside, left side of the receiver there is a crow's foot stamp.

/_
\

Something like that but it is all connected. The toes are little more angled and all three are the same length.

Another two markings are astrics, *, one on the extractor itself, the other on the bolt handle.

Yet another one is sort of an X with a box, I'll try to recreate...

\ /
\/
/\
/\/\

Sort of...:o

The other two markings are stamped on the underside. The first is on the bottom front and is stamped "HS", the other is "F3" and is on the back left wall. It looks like there might also be a faint "F5" pm the back right wall. The receiver is an Enfield style, something like a 1914 or 1917. The load spring looks like it might be an original out of a 30-06 from seeing the one in my buddies 1917 30-06. I was told the rear receiver "ears" were cut as well to make way for the 2 piece scope mount. The barrel has mounted iron sights, the rear is adjustable. The stock is a little different too, kind of a sandy feel to it, grey in color. The bolt and receiver are both stamped with matching serial #'s too, 668207.

Any info on this custom job would be helpful, thanks. Also, I got the rifle out of MN when I bought it, if that might help any, IDK.

Attachments

• 375-6.jpg
    375-6.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 375-5.jpg
    375-5.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 60
I was told by another source that the receiver is either an original Winchester or looks as though it was at least built on the specs of the original winchester 1917 actions. Thanks again for anything somebody can dig up on this rifle.

F-C

The "crow's foot" might be a British broad arrow stamp.

I think you have a heavily sporterized Pattern 14 Enfield; with rear sight and "ears" removed to make room for the scope base and the bolt stop trimmed down for better looks. Replacement .375 barrel and all set in a synthetic - or synthetic finished wood - stock.

It was common to use the P14 .303 action for belted magnum sporters because the bolt face did not have to be opened up as a 1917 would. The magazine would have had to be lengthened either way.

See, the magazine was lengthened but the plate was not. It is still working off of an original load spring and plate from an Enfield. I'll have to put a 303 round in the mag and see what it looks like on the plate. It might be one from a pattern 14 then.

Thanks for the info.

Those markings are consistent with a P-14 action. The "X" is probably the crossed pennants military proof and the "crows foot" is the British Broad Arrow property mark. As noted, it has been heavily polished and "sporterized."

Try removing the front scope base and see if the maker's name is there. It should be "ERA" (Eddystone Remington Arms) as that was the only maker to approach that number of P-14's. (Neither Winchester or Remington approached that number on either P-14's or M1917's.) Actually, that is above the number often given for Eddystone production, but those figures are often not accurate.

Jim

Back