Received a Browning A5 16ga from my grandfather - check it out!

Brancasterr

Inactive
My grandfather has had this shotgun in his collection for a long while and he just passed it on down to me!

Serial number: 'X127--'

The serial number dates it at 1947, and I can't tell if this is one of those infamous elusive 'Sweet Sixteen' from 1947 when not all were marked.

Anyone know how to figure that out?

Pictures below:

xVl1Jyc.jpg

9UAt81G.jpg

cI97ZFr.jpg

CaWqFCD.jpg

KtkNp9F.jpg

Very special piece, its also the higher end mode noted by the better wood, round grip bottom and of course the engraving. Should be a good shooter to.

It doesn't actually have the 'Sweet Sixteen' engraving, but I've read that 1947 is the only year that some of the Sweet Sixteen models went engraved (it has obviously been factory engraved)

Very special piece, its also the higher end mode noted by the better wood, round grip bottom and of course the engraving. Should be a good shooter to.
I can't wait to get out to the range to shoot this one. I'd like to do some sporting clays, but the closest to me is about an hour away. I'll have to take the trip.

Generally the Sweet Sixteens have a gold plated trigger.

Also inside the receiver at the loading port there are lightening cuts made to remove
metal from the receiver.

In a word...

NICE!

Dismount the barrel and see if there a app., 5/8" diameter hole [3] in the barrel ring.

Suggest you get new recoils spring and new friction bronze, clean the OD of magazine tube with a used scotch-brite pad and put a drop of Mobil One synthetic oil on the tube OD and watch it PUURRRR!

May want to get the small bolt return spring that extends out under the top rear tang, also.

ENJOY what your grandfather enjoyed!

Definitely sweet. Before you shoot it the first time, verify that the recoil system is set up properly for your intended loads. Makes all the difference in the world. Enjoy!

Don't have the numbers in front of me, not in the shop, but measure your recoil spring, the one around the mag tube, then check with a 'smith to see what a new one measures. If yours has taken a set, usually about 1" short, then replace and change the action spring at the same time. As far as lubing the mag tube, oil or gun grease smeared all over, then the excess wiped off with a clean dry rag you'll be correctly lubed and the friction rings will do their job correctly. This from Browning service rep. By the way, if you intend to do your own service, fer gawd's sake get a set of good gunsmith screwdrivers and use tips that fit correctly. Thru the years I have serviced many that Bubba used common tapered household drivers and screwed up the slots. Enjoy that fine old gun. GW

Back