Rebarrel a Rem.700 LTR 308 Cal.

cw308

Getting ready to change barrels on the LTR. Use only for target shooting,what is a good barrel,will there be any fitting problems. Looking for 12'' twist same as with orignal,only issue was Rem. has alot of free bore.Looking to blue print action at the same time.The stock LTR shot very tight groups at 200 yards with a 20" brl. but good things don't last forever.

How many rounds have you shot down the old barrel to wear it out?

I think you are on the right track to blue print the action when you install the new barrel. Plus there is nothing wrong with going same as the original barrel if you were happy with the performance. I'd go ahead and bed the action to the stock if you haven't done so already.

That freebore is a problem for an accurate rifle. Factorys do this to keep pressue down in hot loads.

You may want to consider having the barrel set back and rechambered.

Good barrel makers include krieger, schneider, obermeyer, bartlein, broughton, lilja, hart, rock creek, etc. The list goes on. Its hard to find a bad barrel manufacturer these days. A good local gunsmith can do everything else you requested. Are you wanting the same barrel contour? Or different?

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for the info.I have 4000+ rounds down the barrel,it served me well for a stock barrel. At 100 yards it shot a one hole group 3 rounds, I stopped shooting at that target, it looked so good. Average is 1/4-1/2 100 yards at 200 1/2 - 3/4. my set up on the weapon is jewell trigger 10oz., McArther muzzle brake , Iron Brigade armory one piece mount & lapped rings 1'',Bushnell 4200 Elite 6x24x40 Multi-plex Scope,the rest is all Remington.When I change the barrel from stock to match heavy barrel, I'm troubled about stock to barrel fit. I hear GA Precision & Iron Brigade Armory are both very good.This weapon has served me well and when it comes time to brake it up,I just want it to shoot as well if not better before my eyes go. I'm a 65 year old VN vet. and love to target. So I guess what I'm asking when I change the barrel will it screw up things.

I wouldn't think so as long as it was installed by a competent smith. Your groups might actually improve. Just discuss every thing that you are worried about with the smith before you have him do any work.

George the owner of GAprecision is an extremely high regarded gunsmith and does great work. I would send it to him if you don't have a local. I'm sure IBA is good but there is one thing about them I dislike and it's no offense to them but they're pricey IMO.

Anyone out there have any dealings with High Score Gunsmithing, I'm looking for one to change to a match barrel on my LTR

Back