Rebarrel a 5.56 Ruger GSR...many questions

snowman748

Ok, I just picked up a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in a trade...it's in the 5.56 caliber (which is cool because I reload 5.56 right now)...my only complaint is that mags are like $75 each (the lowest price I've found is ~$64) where as the 308 mags are like ~$28 for polymer or ~$52 for steel...I kind of figure they will develop a polymer 5.56 mag later for a much lower price but if not I'd like to rebarrel the gun to 7mm-08...

my reasons...

A.) the 308 mags will easily accommodate to 7mm-08.
B.) the 5.56 and 308 use the same action and even the same mags (the 5.56 have polymer feed lips inserted into a 308 mag to fit the smaller round)
C.) I prefer the 7mm-08 to 308 and figure if I have to pay for a rebarrel I might as well get what I want.
D.) 7mm-08 is a much better all around hunting round then 5.56

My questions...

1.) Will it be difficult for a Gunsmith to rebarrel this Ruger?
2.) Will I have to modify the bolt face alot or can i just use a 308 take off bolt?
3.) Would I run into trouble with magazines feeding using 7mm-08 in a 308 mag without modification...
4.) instead of rebarreling could I possibly just ream my chamber for 22-250? (the Ruger has a 16.1" 1:8 twist CHF barrel)
5.) how does 22-250 compare to 7mm-08?

No can do without a LOT of expense!

You have the bolt head which is for the 223. The bolt needs to be 308 size.

Then you may need to do something with the bolt stop. I am not sure about this but I would guess the bolt stop is to keep the bolt just behind the rising cartridge of the 223 and as I said the 7-08 is longer so the bolt may have to come back farther. I'd have to compare the 308 Scout to the 223 Scout to be sure, but it's likely that need to be changed too.

Lastly you need the barrel. It needs to be the exact same outside contour as the existing barrel so the scope mount will work.

It would be far cheaper to get a Ruger 308 scout and re-barrel it to 7-08. In this case you need only machine a 7MM barrel to the exact contour as the 308 barrel and install the rib/scope mount.

In gunsmithing nearly anything can be done if price is no object, but in this case buying a 308 scout is going to be a far better option for a 7-08 conversion.

Ruger GSR

The 5.56 GSR Scout is based on the 308 scout. To the point that they use the SAME magazine (the 5.56 mag is a 308 mag with a polymer insert and added polymer feed lips, the bolt face is different but if I can find a take off 308 bolt it would fit in my action and cycle, the bolt stop stops the bolt completely after the bolt clears the magazine which would mean in theory it should cycle 308 with the right bolt and barrel. Was was wondering if anyone had experience with this...it's not something I plan to do now, I want to enjoy the rifle in the caliber I have it in but if the 5.56 version doesn't take off and instead is discontinued it would make mags significantly more expensive and harder to find while the 308 version being so popular and mags more prevalent I wanted to keep my options open...

Back