Reasonable price to pay?

Soclosenotnear

I have an old Rossi in .32 long that the timing is very slightly off on one chamber, and only in double action. It is consistently off on the one chamber in double action. I'm just curious what would be a general price range in would expect to pay to have this fixed? It is similar to j frame Smiths.

Taurus owns Rossi, I believe they applied a retroactive life time warranty on Rossi..

You might contact them and see if they can do anything.. if the model is discontinued you might end up with something other then what you sent in though.

This gun is upwards of 50 years old and before taurus bought Rossi. It is not made any more so I'm not thinking I wanted to send it in.

So let's see:
* gun is about 50 years old. No parts available. Taurus will not support Rossis made that long ago.
* gun operates similar to S&W J frame. How do you know? Just because it looks like a J frame does not mean it works the same way.
* and just because it looks kinda like a J frame does not mean J frame parts can be used.
* timing is off on one cylinder means the ratchet pad is worn or damaged in some way. Not a simple fix whether you are going to make a new hand or repair the ratchet pad itself.
* Whoever takes on that job will earn his fee. And you are concerned how much you should have to pay? :rolleyes: I would guess it will take an hour to two hours between machine time and bench time.

Taurus barely supports Taurus kit.
Wouldn't think a Rossi, of any age, would be worth the expense of repairing. Anyway, this is from Rossi/Taurus' site pertaining to their life time warrantee.
"This repair policy only applies to revolvers manufactured by Rossi and imported by Braztech International L.C. The firearm will be stamped "Braztech Int'l L.C. Miami, FL USA." No Braztech before December of 1997.
"...an hour to two hours between machine time and bench time..." Machining runs over $100 per hour, usually plus set up time. Gunparts lists some Rossi parts by the model number. Also sold out of a lot of 'em.

Rossis are crude, but serviceable guns. Of course it's worth at least looking into getting it fixed. Any good gunsmith will look at it and give you an estimate.
The fix could be as simple as peening the star at the offending chamber.

I'm not necessarily concerned with what I'll have to pay. I just don't go to the gun smith very often and don't want to be told $200+ when the consensus is it should take ten minutes to fix. Thanks for the advice all. I'm taking it to the Smith this afternoon.

Got a call today and as everyone thought. New parts are obviously not available. He suggested buying used parts and that would be a risk and I might buy ten before one was salvageable. So my options now are to return it for my $150 or I don't know what else. Seems like the only reasonable choice, right? But I like the gun.

You have two choices.
You can keep your $150 gun and carry the out-of-time chamber empty.
You can return the gun and get your money back and find another that works.
Somewhere on this sight there is likely a method for checking out a revolver before you buy it. It is not all that hard to do and could save you from a similar predicament in the future.

He really kept repeating simply that parts were unavailable. He mentioned the cylinder itself and the ratcheting mechanism and that it was hard to tell which.

I thought I checked it out thoroughly. I didn't realize I should check lockup in both single and double action separately. I talked with my supervisor (I manage the pawn shop where I bought it) and I'm going to get half my money back and keep it as is. I'll just shoot it single action mostly. No issues thus far single.

"He isn't much of a gunsmith. Find a real one. "

+1 on that. (If you really want to keep and use the gun)
He can't tell which part needs changed? he probably should not be doing it professionally.

Back