Rear Stock Lengths?

StanA

I wonder if you can use a short Bantam stock like Mossberg has listed in there catalog on the 410 on the 500. I mean I now you can but is it any advantage over standard length? Standard stock just a tad shorter I don't know if it would be of any benefit though? Just thinking tactical? Seems like I read on here about a big guy wondering why they made it so long anyhow? I am 6 feet tall by the way. Or should I just buy a standard length stock. Just thinking of ideas to go to from my pistol grip thats on there now?

I can shoot the Youth Model 870 20 ga I bought for Daughter, but I don't so as well as with a standard length stock. It is easier to work with one too short than one too long.
And, one a LITTLE short seems to be a bit faster.

The trap,skeet and clays folks get downright obsessive about stock fit. The "Average" shooter factory stocks are designed for is about 5'9", with maybeso a 33" shirt sleeve.So, that factory stock might just work fine for you.

ME, I'm 6'2', bbl chested and take a 36" sleeve. Remington stocks fit fine for length, but have a little more drop than I like. On pumps, that's an easy fix.

Hope this helps...

The stock is the rear sight. If it fits, you can hit. If it doesn't fit, you're in trouble.

A stock which is too short makes you shoot high. Too long, low. The obvious problem is clothing--a gun you can shoot well during the warm, shirt-sleeved dove season won't work well if you're wearing a thick down jacket.

The other factors are cast-off and drop. Cast-off is the amount the stock is "bent" away from the axis of the bore, away from your cheek. This lets you easily center your eye in line with the fore-axis/sights/rib. The drop affects how high your eye is above the barrel.

A rule-of-thumb, ball-park check on stock length is to hold the grip with your finger on the trigger; arm bent 90 degrees. There should be around 1/4 inch of clearance between the butt pad and your arm.

To check cast-off and drop, close your eyes and bring the gun to a comfortable firing position. Open your eyes--you can see better, that way. Okay, if your eye lines up with the axis of the bore, and is just above the top of the barrel, you're in pretty good shape. If you're way off, it's time to go to a stock-maker.

Hope this helps, Art

Back