Rear sight, small round-bottom "U".

dahermit

I have an old I frame .32 S&W Long revolver that has just a very small "U" milled in the top strap that serves as a rear sight. Being old, I have found that the rear sight cut is way too smallto get a good sight picture when shooting. The gun has little of its original finish, so it cannot be considered a collector's item by any means.

This gun is a pleasure to shoot save for the difficult sighting. I shoot it often.

What I have been thinking about doing is to take it to a gunsmith and have him run a very small end mill (no one seems to have horizontal mills anymore), through that rounded sight channel to give it a flat bottom and just maybe a slight amount more width.

The only cutting would be just in front of the hammer, through that infinitesimal "U". Note: The :"U" in the attached photo looks way bigger than it actually is because that picture is a close-up.

However, I want some knowledgeable opinions on the wisdom of doing such.
(1) Do it.
(2) Don't do it because...
(3) ?

100_0018_zpscclctb7r.jpg

Why not, as long as whoever does it knows how.
I've widened most of the rear sights on my handguns with a suitable file, granted that most sights aren't as hard or tough to work with as a frame.
It really helps to have more daylight around the front sight picture by doing so.
The gun isn't much good if you can't use it.
Nice old piece, too.
My first revolver was a .32.

S&W M10 revolvers came like that. You can have the thing milled to accept a regular Smith rear sight that matches the height of the from blade. Basically removes the wee, tiny, small groove and installs an adjustable.
Isn't a horizontal mill job. End mill diameters start at 1/64". Trick will likely be finding a shop that has one that small. Or close to it. If you want to just mill the 'U' bigger and square. You may have to alter the blade some too. Been a while since I was around that kind of work.
No idea what it would cost you. Might be more than the thing is worth.
Plan "Way down the list of plans" would be a file. Frames aren't that hard, but getting the new groove centred correctly will be an issue.

An ordinary cutting wheel or end mill will work fine; you only need to cut the slot about 1/8" at the "pinched" point. If you do it right, you will end up with a square rear sight that will look just like the later generation sight. A dab of cold blue finishes the job.

Jim

An ordinary cutting wheel or end mill will work fine; you only need to cut the slot about 1/8" at the "pinched" point. If you do it right, you will end up with a square rear sight that will look just like the later generation sight. A dab of cold blue finishes the job.
That is what I was think too. It would take longer to square it up in milling vise and find the center than it would to actually cut the slot. If I still had access to machine tools, it would be done by now. I just wanted some reassurance that doing such did not have some hidden pitfalls (mechanical or the fact that it is an "I" frame), that I am unaware of.

I've done similar jobs with needle files.
At seventy-three, I know that I no longer have that level of skill and suspect I never had it. Nevertheless, it is not rocket science to square-up the gun in vise, find/calculate the center, mount an appropriate end mill in the mill and cut a slightly wider channel with a square bottom in the top strap. I don't see a gunsmith charging an arm and a leg for what is a simple job.

At seventy-three, I know that I no longer have that level of skill and suspect I never had it. Nevertheless, it is not rocket science to square-up the gun in vise, find/calculate the center, mount an appropriate end mill in the mill and cut a slightly wider channel with a square bottom in the top strap. I don't see a gunsmith charging an arm and a leg for what is a simple job.
Shouldn't be arm and leg, but it is not cheap either. One will charge 1 hour minimum, $30 to $50 that is. It is not hard with needle files aided with magnifying glasses (geezer goggles) and good light.

-TL

I had an excessively authentic single action with V notch rear sight.
A visit to FLG and it now has a modern square notch cut with a little rightward bias to adjust windage.

A visit to FLG and it now has a modern square notch cut with a little rightward bias to adjust windage.
CONDYREMTKWFIUOTL?
Or:
Come on now...do you really expect me to know what "FLG" is, using only three letters?

Give me a hint...what is that "FLG" where I can get a modern square notch cut?

Well, it's obvious what that means.
Frackin' Lazy Gunsmith.
Or maybe Fabulous Lady Gunsmith. :)
But probably Friendly Local Gunsmith.
Have power tools, will Travel.

Back