rear sight on pre 64 94 is way left

Tinbucket

The rear sight, on the Winchester, is way left ,and still not drifted all the way into the slot.I have been looking, on the Internet, for a replacement and the ones I've looked at seem questionable.
The one, on the carbine ,looks like ,from the factory and blue is in great shape. It as built in 1949.
Is it possible, that the sight ss somehow drifted in, crooked, and simply removing it and reinstalling it straight?
If not the best place on the Net to find new old stock?

No need to replace or remove anything. Just "drift" that sight back over to the right and center it on the barrel, and re-zero it.

I use a 4" long piece of 1/4" brass round stock and a hammer to drift the sight. Give it a couple of careful taps and see if it moves. You can clean up the brass marks left by the puck with a patch soaked in Breakfree- they'll pretty much wipe right off.

Where does it shoot? May not be a sight issue at all.
However, like Slopemeno says, put it in a padded vise and tap it with a drift and a plastic mallet. Not a steel hammer.
It is entirely possible somebody installed it a bit off kilter, but not likely. You'd be able to see that.

rear sight on pre64 94 is way left

The sight is way, to the left. The sight base is over to the right. I understand the sight is drifted in, from the right.
The blade of the sight is angled to the left. You can easily see it.
It shoots way to the left.
Front sight appears well centered and straight. :)
I hope to get to hunt a bit for deer. Deer season isn't far off.
Had this gun, since, sometime, in the eighties, and only shot it three or four times. Couldn't figure why i couldn't hit the side of a barn until I ooked at it coser.

The [rear] sight is way to the left.
It shoots way to the left.
OK... drift it RIGHT to solve both problems

BREAK, BREAK..
The sight base is over to the right.
The blade of the sight is angled to the left
I'm having a hard time w/ that one.
Can you post a picture, please ?

Last edited:
rear sight on pre 64 94

Best idea is to look a picture of one. I'm not up to snuff tongiht and descriptive powers elude me. I can't post a photo. :)

"...The sight is way, to the left..." The rear sight, correct? Drift it to the right.
"...The blade of the sight is angled to the left..." As in bent to the left? Quickest fix is to replace the front sight. William's Gun Sights or Brownell's.
Front sights get moved in the opposite direction you want the group to go.
Rear sights get moved in the direction you want the group to go.

Back