Reaming a .45 GAP barrel to .45 ACP?

oldandslow

Greetings,

I see a number of .45 GAP pistols for sale on the auction sites for a significant discount compared to other more common calibers.

Seeing as I have a once-used .45 ACP finishing chamber reamer can I convert the barrel to a .45 ACP? It seems like one of those "too good to be true" scenarios- pick up a cheap pistol in an odd caliber and make it into one that shoots a common caliber.

best wishes- oldandslow

The so-called "advantage" of the .45 GAP was that the cartridges fit into a 9mm frame.

Seems to me that if you ream a .45 GAP to .45 ACP that you'll be stuck with a barrel that the factory frame/magazine won't feed, and you can't just swap in a .45 ACP magazine because the frame is too small.

Exactly. There would be no point to chambering a gun in .45 GAP if the frame/magazine would accommodate .45 ACP.

greetings,

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about the shorter overall cartridge length of the GAP compared to the .45ACP and briefly thought of loading cast lead flat nose or JHP bullets which have a shorter bullet profile enabling them to fit in the .45 GAP mags. Unfortunately looking at the COAL for .45 GAP it looks like it's over 0.100" shorter than the .45 ACP making even blunt nose .45 ACP cartridges too long. As well the slide ejection port may be too short to eject the longer .45 ACP cases easily.

Too bad, another project shot down in flames.

best wishes- oldandslow

Back