Really Short Shotgun

Ludwig

A friend of mine had a gunsmith cut down an old double barrel 20ga shotgun for his grandson (age 7). 18" barrel and short stock. Since it's a break-open, the gun is very short, but all dimensions are within legal limits. This is the FASTEST little gun I've ever handled. The short stock even shoulders well enough for an adult to aim in a pinch. Would a gun like this fit in anywhere in a self-defense role? Thanks. L

double 20 short

I always thought it would be a darn good HD gun. Add a modern gadget flashlight and you are really there.

It would fit in almost any HD role.

My best friend has a Coach gun in 20 Ga with the short barrels. Wonderful lady's gun. Or a smart male's gun - grin.

Giz

Of course. Some folks refer to these as "Whippet" guns, as in "Whippet out and start shooting". Whippet more properly refers to a shortened auto, like Bonnie and Clyde's Remington Model 11s. Others might call this a Lupara, a short double gun used in Sicily to hunt with and handle paybacks and payback attempts.

A few caveats....

A 20 set up like this is quite light, of course. That means lots of kick, even with the lighter loads.

18" bbls have lots of flash and blast in low light w/ most loads. One could reduce the bbl length to 20-22" and still have a very short and manageable weapon with less disadvantage in low light scenarios. And a bit more weight up front would aid recoil control.

Also,ANY OLD SHOTGUN (or other old firearm) SHOULD BE CHECKED OUT BY A COMPETENT GUNSMITH BEFORE ANY FIRING.

I have always preferred 18" barrels on my shotguns (and rifles) unless it was specifically a designated hunting shotgun (or rifle). As Gunslinger mentioned, it is real handy in the car (or patrol car). In some of our southwest states, it's not uncommon to drive with a longun on the seat next to you. A short barrel can weild around without smacking the roof or windshield. If you are in a state that is cool about a long gun in the car with you, you can't pass up finding a used single barrel 20 ga. Take a pipe cutter and slice the barrel to 18". If desired, hack the stock so the overall length does not fall under 26". You'll have a darn nice car gun that cost you around $50.

I appreciate everyone's input on the short shotgun. Really interesting. I'm going to get my gunsmith's recommendation on which one to cut down, and have him do it, staying well within legal dimensions. I'll use a 20 gauge. I'll probably put a lightweight light on it, as JHP suggested. Thanks. L

Light

Just don't ask me HOW to put the light on the gun....
Maybe that wooden forend will be easier to work with than a metal reciever, now that I think of it. I'm envisioning something with a Weaver or UTL style rail attached to the wood on the forend. My personal talent would limit it to a groove cut in the fore end with a wood rasp, and a radiator hose clamp around the whole shebang. Or duct tape.....:D

Back