Really good socks

I know - not a very sexy item of gear; but a pretty important one all the same. I just got some "Smart Wool" socks for Christmas and man, these things are nice. They tame even my most blister-prone uncomfortable boots and they keep my feet warm,dry and comfy.

Its surprising what a difference a good pair of socks makes. What are my fellow TFL'ers using?

How well do they stay up? One of the most irritating things that can disrupt your concentration are socks that refuse to stay up!!!

I second Gorthaur on the Thorlo socks. They make about a zillion different models, so there's bound to be one that works for just about anybody. The one called Western Boot Dress Sock is what I use most of the time.

Has anybody tried socks with the "outlast" material that is designed to absorb and release heat to keep your little piggies comfortable in cold weahter?

bobs1066

Bartholomew...

Thanks, I'll order some.
I bet when you started this thread you didn't think you'd get so many replies.
Socks are IMPORTANT!!
Anybody old enough to remember coming back and washing them out in your helmet?

KR

Thorlo & Fox River here. 85% wool & w/nylon blend for warmth, etc. (wool) & the rest for durability. Get the stuff with the fleecy pile on the inside.

Too, if in colder weather, get the calf-length size to overlap your long johns. Makes a big difference not having that cold spot when your LJs ride up some - as they always seem to do.

& oh yeah. Wear the socks you will be using when fitting your boots. A crimped foot due to too large socks = sucks.

Justin makes a good bootsock for everyday wear. They are over the calf socks that will actually stay up. You'll wear the heels and bottom out before the tops will stretch out. Check out any weatern wear store that carries Justin boots. Just make sure you get the work sock and not the dress ones. The dress socks are thinner and dont last as long.

Smartwool All the Way!

Smartwool's great, and much thicker weave wool than Thorlo, which I used to use. (I still have some Thorlo synthetic socks for "my feet will definitely get wet" jobs.) Pricey socks, yes -
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/rei/searchc.pl?stat=7889&query=smartwool&x=10&y=17. Sometimes REI has factory seconds on sale which are only cosmetically deficient. For those who haven't use these before, there's no "itch" in Smartwool.

Two cautions, though - with soft wool as the underlying base, they dry slowly, and are poor at abrasion-resistence. Be careful that your shoes don't slip at the heels and don't use them as slippers around the house (socks on bare hardwood floors, for instance) - they'll wear through. With well-fitting shoes and house shoes over them at home, they've lasted me for three to five years, depending upon the thickness, and there are lots of thickness choices.

On the other hand, they are much warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer due to superior breathing than anything else I've used. I have on the Casual Hiker right now that I wear with my dress shoes.

Jaywalker

I like several of the brands discussed, but you should also consider the Swiss Rohner Trekkers. They are generally available from www.sierratradingpost.com I especially like them for warm weather use because the heavy cushioning is limited to the bottoms and sides. The tops are thinner and very breathable.

Back