Reality of 40mm grenade launcher ownership?

TomNash

Hello. I am looking to purchase a registered M-79 grenade launcher and have a few questions, maybe you could help me with them...?

What are the logistics of obtaining the high explosive rounds for this gun? 'Beehive' rounds?

I had occasion today to meet a man, who said he was a registered class II manufacturer, and asked him this same question. His response was that I would have to become a Class III dealer, purchase the HE rounds as if they would later be sold to an approved party, but retain and use them while the license is still valid. What is your take on this issue?

Thank you.

Tom

FWIW, I have searched this forum regarding 40mm grenades - in response to the notion of going Class II and manufacturing the grenades for personal use - the military rounds utilize the centripetal acceleration of the rotating round to arm the fuze on the projectile. Making that part itself, and making it good enough, would probably kill this idea for most people. Then again, that was probably the intent of the NFA to begin with... Thank you again.

Owning the M79 may be the easy part.

Look up the rules on storage of explosive devices in your state/county/city. Probably very strict and expensive permits required.

Likewise find out who ships haz-mat products like explosives. Find out what their freight charge would be to deliver 10 or so grenades. I suspect that the cost of delivery and storage would be several times the cost of the ammo.

The launcher is easy - just buy it as you would any other NFA device. The dealer will likely have to be a registered Destructive Device dealer (class 10, IIRC), though I've heard of NFA approving an occasional DD through a class 3 dealer as a courtesy.

In theory the rounds can be bought similarly - each round counts as a DD and has a $200 transfer tax just like the launcher though. Makes it quite expensive. In reality, however, no manufacturer is going to sell you 40mm HE or HEDP rounds due to liability concerns, even if you have the explosives license and approved magazine/storage facility. If you're considering getting a license just to buy a few rounds fraudently as your C2 manufacturer friend suggested, I think you should consider the fact that its a felony and there are former NFA dealers and manufacturers who have gone to prison for similar things with machineguns and "assault weapons" - doing it with DDs is more than inviting trouble.

I was not suggesting anything illegal, just because I am not knowledgable about NFA laws, does not make me a criminal. Thank you for the advice.

Tom

Tom - Not saying you are a criminal, but theres a lot of bad info floating around about C3 stuff that can get you in deep trouble. You have to be careful, because BATF does bust people for things like that. Just because a C3 dealer or manufacter tells you something doesn't necessarily make it true or a good idea.

That's kind of a scary reality but I see your point... Would you know which department of the BATF I might try contacting for this info? Thank you...

Tom

Just a heads up. From an ad on Sturmgewehr (http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=62072)

For sale is one lot of 40MM M583A1 White Star Parachute Rounds in the original U.S. Army steel container. This lot consists of 22 rounds (same manufactured lot) in perfect, as originally packaged, condition. Selling for $1430. Provide your E-mail address for pictures of several of the rounds pictured with the original U.S. ammo container. Buyer to pay shipping costs based upon destination and a carrier who will transport. Buyer to pay hazmat costs is required for shipment. Shipment only within the U.S. Payment by U.S. Postal Money Order or Cashiers Check only. All NFA, Federal, State and Local Laws apply to the purchase of these rounds. Purchaser must be 21 years of age.

There are some neat civilian legal projectiles for the 40mm launcher. THIS is one of my favorites. An adapter that fires 18 .22LR bullets at the same time.

img7.jpg

You might consider getting a 37mm "flare" launcher. They are not regulated at all and there is a wide assortment of things to launch from it.

Good? NFA weapons are toys. You don't pay this much money and do this much paperwork for a home defense weapon.

BTW,
img36.jpg

Good? NFA weapons are toys. You don't pay this much money and do this much paperwork for a home defense weapon.
Excellent point! NFA firearms are NOT home defense weapons. They're just a kick in the @$$ to shoot! :D

Back