Ready to start casting

First and foremost, I've never reloaded a single round with my own equipment. Its time to start. I have several guns; too many to buy everything I need for everyone of them right up front, so I am beginning with one rifle, and one handgun. I've settled on the .44 Special and the 45-70, partially because I would like to be able to run cast bullets.
1. The .44 Special is a S&W 21-4. Is there a particular mold/size that s&w favors that I need to be on the lookout for, or will any 429 mold do, and will I need a separate mold for .44 magnum loads?
2. Should I avoid really hot 45-70 loads if I'll be using cast bullets through a lever action rifle?
3. How bad of an idea is it to attempt pointed rounds (.243) with cast bullets?
4. How do cast lead loads do through autos, like a 1911 in .45 ACP?

1, you can get by with a Lee 429 mold for both 44 SPC and 44 Mag. Plain base if you aren't pushing velocities too hard, gas checked if you are. I recommend the TL-430-SWC for getting started. It's plain base and a tumble lube design, so all you'll need is a sizing die and some alox. I don't know what to recommend for the 45-70 because I don't know what you are doing with it, but the Lee 457-340-F mold drops the lightest plain base projectile which should be great for powderpuff target loads for shooting all afternoon.

2, You should stay within the load safety margin for your rifle. A "really hot" can mean velocity or it can mean pressure. With cast bullets extra velocity isn't always desirable (can lead to poor accuracy and barrel leading) and so going heavy cast bullet at modest velocity is a really good way to go for the 45-70 if you plan on hunting with it, in which case there are plenty of good heavy flat nose molds on the market, with or without gas checks.

3, pointed bullets in a small caliber like 243 are doable, but there are issues with twist rate and velocity that make the 243 Win a difficult round to load cast bullets through anywhere near the velocities people expect from commercial ammo. If you want pointed bullets from bottle necked rifle rounds I recommend 30 cal or larger and still keeping the velocity to the "modest" side depending on twist rate.

4, cast pistol bullets go through semi autos just fine. You'll find many resources for loading cast bullets in 45 ACP and 9mm. It is easier in my opinion to duplicate jacketed bullet performance from a straight walled pistol case in terms of bullet mass and velocity than it is with bottlenecked rifle round.

Jimro

I like RCBS Keith mold, mine casts 265grs, I also use Lee round nose that casts around 250gr that looks a lot like the factory round nose of yester year. If you still have the factory grips you could try something lighter.

If you are going to get into casting and reloading , pick up a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition is in print. It deals only with cast bullets and loads for cast bullets. There are mould designs and load data for every cartridge you have mentioned with recommendations for minimum and maximum loads.
Cast bullets are a whole different ball game .
Study the book and follow Lyman's guide and you will be on a proper start.
Look at the designs for each round you intend to load. 44 special and 44 magnum can use the same bullet. I'm old school and prefer a SWC like the Lyman 429360.
Don't try and hot rod the 45-70 , stay with loads intended for standard pressure and velocity with cast bullets in lever.
There are a few 243 moulds , Lyman 245496 is one , but most small bores do better with jacketed.
45 acp in a 1911 with cast bullets is marriage made in heaven !
Gary

Back