ready to go quiet

skizzums

hey guys, I am read to buy my first and only silencer. I don't ever want to buy another one, so I need this to be very versatile. the only guns in my stable that I plan to use it for are a AR 300BLK pistol and an AR 9mm. my question is, am I going to get really poor performance shooting the 3.09 out of a .356 can? and if it doesn't matter a whole lot, should I just get a .45 silencer can I use it on just about anything I may get in the future. I was looking at the ti-rant .45 on sale right now. so please let me know the amount of degradation I am going to get using a bigger can for a smaller caliber and if that difference is very noticeable. I would also love to hear some suggestions in the 600$ or less range. I am shopping silencershop.com right now and there seems to be many options right at that price. where else should I be shopping too?

let me also add, I don't really care about size or weight. my only needs are, that it be quiet......duh, and it be serviceable

things in my price range are bowers, gemtech, ti-rant, osprey and octane. I have no idea about any of this BTW

thanks

Last edited:
The pistol caliber cans are only rated for SUBSONIC ammo in 300blk

A 30cal rifle can wont work for 9mm bullets.

So it looks like you need 2 cans to do what you want. I thought i only wanted 1 for my rifles. A year later and im 5 cans into it:eek:

I shoot 9, 40 & 45 out of my Octane45. The 9 is actually the quietest of the bunch. The added internal volume offsets the slightly overbore blowby

so I can't shoot subsonic 300blk out of a 9mm can?

also, any reason why Thompson machine are so cheap? they seem pretty nice

SUBsonic outta a 9mm can is good. SUPERsonic is not

The can manufacture will let you know what can and cant be shot thru their cans

I wouldn't have a need to shoot supers through a can. the pressure on a sub 300 and a 9 should be pretty similar. a sub 300 is anywhere from 18k cup to 28k and a 9mm is up to 30k cup. I would think that would be the defining factor of what a suppressor can handle. am I completely off on this assumption?

GTG...

Just remember a single supersonic full power round will likely turn your can into an imitation of Whilly Coyote's exploding cigar:eek:

I choose to run supersonic rated cans on my blkouts, just in case a full power load get sent downrange. Part of the appeal of that cartridge is the ability to just swap mags and be shooting a different power level ammo.

I find myself shooting 90% supersonic and suppressed. If i only had 1 can, i would want a rifle rated one

the 300blk would realy only be secondary to the 9mm. I would be shooting the 9mm suppressed much more. does no-one make a rifle rated 9mm or up? if not, I may just stick with the ti-rant .45

i can't find any reviews, negative or positive from the gun rags websites. does anyone have experience with "Thompson machine" suppressors? they are almost too good of a deal which worries me, but i would hate to pass on a quality product just because they aren't a household name yet. the you tube vids look good

thanks, I will look into it. I told my wifey I was getting a grand less back in taxes, figure I need to do something constructive with it. my 401k can wait a couple weeks. will any of these suppressors, besides the osprey, have any issue getting under the handguard in an AR platform? also, my AR's are threaded 5/8x24, standard ar10 thread, I know I select which thread I want, but is anything else needed? do you have to have some kind of special flash hider? or are those just for QD?

I believe you just select the adapter you want. As long as the rail has a bigger inside diameter than the suppressor, it will fit.

skizzums said:
I select which thread I want, but is anything else needed? do you have to have some kind of special flash hider? or are those just for QD?
If you're going to run a pistol can on your 300 Blackout, you'll need to leave the threads on your rifle bare. Then you'll need a 5/8x24 mount for your pistol can.

Also, keep in mind that the pistol can will have a piston mount (or LID, Nielsen device, whatever you want to call it) that allows the can to spring back and forth on locked-breech handguns. But when you put the can on a fixed-barrel firearm it will bounce back and forth and can damage the threads. So you'll need some way to turn your pistol can mount into a fixed mount. Some companies offer fixed mounts that replace the end of the can, and some just offer spacers that replace the piston spring with a fixed piece that keeps the piston assembly from moving. If you don't want to buy an extra fixed-barrel mount or a spacer, you can just find a piece of copper pipe that's the same diameter and thickness as your piston spring and then cut it to the proper length.

Quick-attach mounts are for rifle cans (there's no such thing as a QD mount; a rifle can gets so darn hot that it's best to leave it on until it's safe to touch). If you were running a 7.62 rifle can on your 300 Blackout, you would buy a muzzle device made for that specific can that fits on to your rifle's 5/8x24 threads.

If you just want to suppress 9mm and 300 Blackout subs, any normal 9mm (or .45) can will do, provided the company makes 5/8x24 mounts for the can (AAC doesn't, for example). If you want to shoot 9mm and 300 Blackout supers, then you need a specialty heavy-duty 9mm can like the Liberty Mystic. The Mystic is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type can: It's super quiet with 9mm, but it's a lot heavier and longer than a normal 9mm can. And it's nowhere near as durable as a real rifle can, so it will wear out a lot faster than a 7.62 can will if you shoot lots of supersonic 300 Blackout through it. And 5.56 will be even worse.

Last edited:
skizzums said:
I was looking at the ti-rant .45 on sale right now. so please let me know the amount of degradation I am going to get using a bigger can for a smaller caliber and if that difference is very noticeable.
It's pretty minor. A .45 can shooting 9mm will be louder than a 9mm can will be, but not by much. The bigger factor is that the .45 can will be bigger and heavier. The same goes for 7.62 and 5.56 cans.

Also, AAC doesn't officially rate the Ti-Rant for 300 Blackout subs. That's not because it won't work, it's just because they want you to buy their 7.62 cans for 300 Blackout use. And they don't make any 5/8x24 mounts for the Ti-Rant anyway.

There's a company that just started making aftermarket 5/8x24 fixed mounts for the Ti-Rant 45 (none for the 9mm), but the fact that AAC doesn't officially rate the Ti-Rant for 300 Blackout subs means you're on your own if something goes wrong, even if it's not your fault.

Theo,
Who is making the after market 5/8x24 mount for the Ti-rant?

Ive got a 9s that i would love to use on my 9mm SBR, but its threaded 5/8x24. so im currently stuck with my Octane45.

okay, so I am a little confused. I want a 9mm suppressor, but for an AR not a pistol. so when looking at silencers, what do I need to be looking for to know it would be okay to mount to a fixed barrel. I don't really don't wanna buy different mounts etc. just plug n play

I just read the copper piece part, I can handle that. so recommend me a good 9mm suppressor, don't need the best. I would like to buy from silencer-shop as thir prices seem pretty good and they handle most of the paperwork for me.

of these, what would be the best and why?
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/bowers-cac9/
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/gemtech-gm9/
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/thompson-machine-poseidon/
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/swr-octane-9-hd/

loos like the bowers and the octane are the only that offer to come in my thread

Last edited:
Octane, hands down. I own one and it's exactly what you're looking for. I work at a dealer, and I picked the Octane 9 over all the other cans on the market because of its versatility, durability, and performance.

Back