ready for bear

mnhunter3030

well i got the official notice today, i was successfully drawn for the minnesota bear hunt. two other family members were not. I settled on the 3006 and ordered two boxes of remmy 220 for the hunt (zeroed and ready to go ). I had a large black bear in the yard at 10 pm Saturday which did not trip my camera 15 yards from the living room window. after seeing this thing i put the 3030 away in the safe. i measured the the foot print in the mud 5 1/4 inch pad mark. made even the 220s look small. I can start baiting 2 weeks prior to sept. 1

Last edited:
mother and cub caught on my game cam just recent. in broad daylight. i live in bmu 51, one of minnesotas most densely populated areas, this photo is 80 yards from the house. the back of the property is very wet, heavy with diamond willows and dense poplar thickets tall grasses and black spruce and moss and a travel route for the bears. i found 3 years ago a whole diamond will bush torn from the ground near my deer stand and learned later from research this is a territory marking of a dominate bear.

this mother is nothing of the big guy that lives here it would easily take 3 to 4 of her to fill his place. if i can ever get him on cam i will surely post it

Attachments

• momma bear.jpg
    momma bear.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Very cool! We had a blonde one here for a few years. But its been gone for a while.

That sow on the picture looks pretty big

220 gr. is allot bullet for a bear. 180s would have worked too and is much easier to find in the stores. Be careful if your hunting over bait. Just never know who's or what is watching you._:eek:___:D

I wonder how many of you have seen the video of the bear who climbed the ladder to a hunter's tree stand ?? The hunter got him with the camera !! clueless bear ! :D

did someone say beer?
attachment.php

Good Luck:D

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 268
some new pics in.took these from family room in the house this morning 10 am. its breeding season i guess. since the big one here was following the smaller one this morning? it was a circus here i had one come right up on the deck, climb the post and start eating seeds from the bird feeder. I have a bucket full of pictures but the 980 kb exceede the 244 that the site allows me to post. i got a great one of the big guy standing up on two legs. CRAZY. I get to buy my license today.

yes the 220 is a tad big, and when i contacted remington about it they said the same thing about the 180s as has been posted "easier to find" "will get the job done" but i want a big hole, i know a .308 bullet will expand only so big, and plenty of ooomph for this guy and cabelas carry the 220s in stock.

enjoy the pics:)

Attachments

• june 1 part 3.jpg
    june 1 part 3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 81
  • june1.jpg
    june1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
here is a nother look at the big guy with what i think is a female? what do you think, is there any reason to think that they would get along if it wasnt breeding season?:confused:

Attachments

• june1 part 2.jpg
    june1 part 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I think your last posted image is a different bear than the first two photos.
The first two photos looks like a large male bruin, while the last photo looks like a sow and her cub.

I think they are the same bears, the dark faced one I'm pretty sure is a male. The ears are rounded and there is a lot of distance between them with a blocky looking head. The second bear with the pale face could be a more juvenile male as well, it's hard time tell since all we get are profile pictures. I wouldn't pass the dark bear up come hunting season.

You sure didn't error on not using enough gun or bullet.

Bears, black bears, are not hard to kill or shoot through. That 220 grain bullet is doing more to suit the hunter than the task. Either way, good luck and God Bless

Do you reside up by Ely? Wow!! you got some monsters hanging around. I have a cabin North of Hibbing and seldom see this many bear as you have this early in the year.

thanks everyone for your posts, ive been busy flying around gathering goods for the hunt ive lined up a subway for bread and a grocery store for the grease from rotisserie chicken tomorrow i head to lucky 7 bear bait for a 55 gallon barrel of trail mix molasses and some frosting. I will be mixing trail mix and oats with the chicken grease ( yum ) and busting up subway bread and pouring frosting over it. i pour the molasses over stumps and logs. and have in the past mixed oats and corn in it.

the bear with the tan muzzle is the female and the big guy is in all three photos and he was love sick! he followed her everywhere. i got some great close ups of the female on the deck 6 feet from my livingroom window. my pictures exceed the size im allowed to post and im really bummed out cause you can clearly see she is a toad! i mowed the yard yesterday and pulled the sd card from my trail camera the sow was there 15 minutes before i zipped by on the mower and pulled the card:eek:

I live in McGregor, MN both south and east of town this area is saturated with bears. all photos were taken from the house windows in the yard

McGregor you say. I remember that fellow who had a bear penned up on the side of the towns gas station & store right next door to the Dairy Queen. Would purposely stop for gas there on the way back to the cities. Buy a bag of feed for it. Kids and I would slip over to the cage feed and take a look at that big Blackie often during the Summer months. Not sure what gender it was? But it was a Big one.

Back