Reactive targets

Roman Knoll

I am planning shooting session with some youngsters (teenage girls to be precise). We'll be shooting .22 mostly but I let them fire few shot with "real" rifles.

I suppose that punching paper will be boring for my students. Reactive targets would be much better idea.

There are plenty of reactive targets on the market for .22.

Have anyone heard about safe reactive (self re- setting) targets for let's say .30 kaliber.

Roman

Hello ROman,

I suggest you do a search on "reactive targets," you should find a great deal of conversation on this topic in our archives. Most of us love steel, but there are much cheaper ways to get more exciting than paper. Personally, I like bowling pins and balloons.

Glad to hear that you are getting the younger generation involved (particularly the girls!).

Keep up the good work.

The 2-liter plastic "coke" bottles when water-filled are pretty impressive. No glass to hurt during & afterwards & are usually easy enough to pick up - they tend to hold together fairly well even after "blowing up" - they mostly stay connected.

Hydrolics at work is pretty impressive, they're easy to hit for newbys at fairly close ranges (spray paint 'em orange if ya need to for better visibility) & any .30 cal should be illustrative.

They're not "self-resetting." ;)

Kids like things that blow up & these do it as safe as anything else I know. Even with the "lowly .22," they can provide a bit of a show. Also shows a bit what the "power of the gun" is ..... not a joking matter. Maybe tie that in with a bit of "safety first" stuff.

I shoot milk jugs, 2 liter jugs, coke cans, apple juice jugs and such. They won't do much unless your shooting hollow points or soft points. I am going to try some balloons very soon. They're not as heavy when I have to carry them out to 150 yards.

you know that bag of used soda cans that hasn't been recycled yet???

fill the cans up with water.... no cap necessary.... shoot with .22

SHAZAM!

by far my favorite plinking "reactive target" and demonstrates the lethal potential of a .22

Balloons are great.
I have a suggestion though.
Grab a small basketball pump.
Use it without the needle for fast party balloon inflation.

Avoids the blackouts and hallucinations that you get doing it the old fashioned way. ;)

Also, some empty aluminum soft drink cans, using the little "squeeze open" metal paper clips to suspend them from a string. They swing around when hit, and last a while if you are using .22.

The water filled bottles is a favorite of mine..also if you buy a case of the cheapest most god awful beer known to man..take it down a dirt road on a hot day...shaken a bit. They are my favorite..BOOM! Warm shaken hot beer cans blow up nicely. Please forgive me wasting beer...I dont drink anymore :D
Shoot well

What no one else grew up shooting animal crackers?

Also fun is "rifle golf" use a 22 and "roll" a golf ball across an open space, say 100 yards. Harder than it sounds.

Back