reaching out at night..scope/light combo?

dieselbeef

I live on a small cattle ranch and recent happenings with both dogs/yotes have dictated I look into some kind of night lighting.

so I have a dpms ar im looking to my some type of light for hunting predators at night. be it dog.fox/yote etc.

green light? need to git out at least 100 yds..ill be chasing them thru the pasture at night most likely when I spot them

what about a scope to go along with it..

I have no clue on scopes..power..mm...reticle etc....

so what kind of light scope system can I get to mt to a rail on an ar that will light me up an animal at 200 yds and a scope that will give me an easy shot

school me..cuz I have no idea what I need. I mostly shoot irons or use a holo sight on my rifles

I'm not real sure what kinds of pastures, grass, terrain features, etc you're working with out there in FL. However, I suspect you have no shortage of hog hunting type minded folks to check with to see what new innovations are afoot for their equipment.

I've been looking at these folks pretty hard for a while now and I think I'll go with them over LaserGenetics- http://www.sniperhawglights.com/

One of those lights over or beside a circle or diamond reticle shotgun scope of 7x or so would be a dandy combination in my mind.

I've got a diamond reticle shotgun scope mounted on a 9mm carbine and I like it a lot- I just don't care for the round it squirts out. I'll be moving it to an AR soon.

The larger the objective lens size on the scope, the more light it gathers. You want high quality glass, medium magnific (maybe 9x to 12x range on the top end), and a large objective, preferably 50mm or larger but at least 44mm. The better your scope can "see", the less light you need and the less you spook the quarry.

Having said that, if you're only shooting when they're actively engaged in trying to kill calves or sheep or some such, their palette will be whetted and their kill instinct activated, so it's unlikely that even a bright white light will scare them off under those circumstances from a distance (which is good for you).

If you've got the coin, go for a NV setup. Much more effective than lighting them up. You can get an ATN Aries for about $500...

Or, a couple grand for an IR illuminator and optic :D

This light works very well for night hunting hogs, since you're using an AR, you can rail mount it. My rifles have 3-9X40 Burris or Leupold scopes mounted on them and both brands work extremely well. The 40mm objective has worked perfectly for me, and on nights with a bright moon, I've made shots without artificial light.

http://www.texasdirecthunting.com/se...0-rifle/Detail

I have had that light for a couple of years and it works very well.

Back