RE:The .303 ammo & 1 free mag...

Pierre

It has been nearly eight years ago now, but as I remember, the balance of the ammunitions supplied was in two twenty round boxes. Both boxes were plain cardboard with ID on them as to caliber & content. Both had obviously been wet and dry on various occasions. Dirty and scuffed. We obtained these the day after the incident. The owner gladly gave them up. They were all original military issue. We opened three of them, determining the state of deterioration. The powder was a non-uniform fine dust. The cases were not corroded but were mottled green. According to the owner, the rifle and ammo had been left to him by his father. (His father being a naturalized citizen from Great Bririan) He had carried the rifle on a rack in various pickups he owned over the years. The ammo had been carried in glove boxes, center consoles and under the seat in these various trucks. According to him, he always used new factory ammo to hunt. On this occasion, because of having forgotten to get the rifle ready before hunting season, he brought the only ammo he had immediately at hand........the old reserve ammo in his truck. Lucky us. It would appear that given enough time and agitation these cartridges were made unstable. We're not forensic microscopists here so your guess is as good as ours. Perhaps the corrosion prevented the bolt from going fully forward. Who can say for sure? Suffice it to say that whatever the formula in these events, we got off easy. The magazine handed me for this rifle is, strangely enough, identified as "SANTA FE, made in japan". Obviously not his original magazine. Anyone wanting it...email me. You pay shipping and its yours.

Back