re: putting bolt back in a remington 512

reble

I just got this Remington 512 sportmaster tube feed 22 cal rifle. I already have Remington 510 targetmaster 22 rifle. Pulling the bolt then putting the bolt back in on the 510 is easy. The bolt on the 512 came out the same way but the bolt isn't going back in the same way on the 512. I hold the trigger in, safety off to put the bolt back in. The bolt goes half way back it and is been stopped by some kind of lever that I think has something to do with pulling the shell up from the feed tube. Is there a video around that shows how to put the bolt back in?

Steve

You may have twisted the bold assembly while cleaning. That will prevent a smooth return. Savage bolts are specific to the same. As the bolt comes out, I clean "as is" without moving the secondary connection in front of the bolt. It must be aligned.

That bolt will be in either cocked or un-cocked position. Make sure it is cocked. Grip firmly and twist bolt handle counter clockwise with rear of assembly toward you. jd

I'm having the same problem, the bolt is cocked, slides in about 3/4 of the way then a small lever prevents it from locking fully into place, there's nothing on the barrel to.release that lever. its not the same one the trigger releases, its in front of it...help!

That lever is probably the little gizmo that lifts the cartridge up for feeding when working the bolt. I had the same problem with my 512. all I had to do is push the lever down by hand, it goes very easily, and then the bolt should slide right in.

When you removed the bolt the lever came up as it is supposed to do and without the bolt in place to control it the lever is now higher than it normally would be.

Back