Re-Loading ?

JERKY

I have been considering buying a reloading press. i remember someone saying how much they like the lee preses for the price. i dont want to spend a fortune on a press and i am only going to be reloading my own ammo.maybe 1 or 2 diffrent rounds. Any info on where to get reloading supplies? also, is reloading worthwhile to me if i shoot about once a week and only own 2 diffrent caliber of guns?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
TIM : )

Yes. It is worth it, even for just 2 calibres. BUT, you have to enjoy doing this sort of thing or it becomes tedious rather quickly.

I just ordered dies and a bullet mold for 9mm to complement my .38/.357, .45 re-loading.

Check out
http://www.midwayusa.com

They carry tons of re-loading stuff, their prices seem quite good and they include the shipping in the price.

Jerky, I might be the guy you mean ?
I use 2 x Lee 1000's.
One in .38Spl/.357Mag & one in .40 S&W
As long as you DON'T let the primers get too LOW & CLEAN it occassionally, they work quite well !
Over at http://gunsamerica.com/shownonguns.cgi?guncat=9270 there's a Lee Pro 1000 progressive in 45 ACP. In excellent cond. ready to reload. $75.00
Phone: (909) 735-0598
Seller: Christopher
FAX: (909) 340-3164
Mail: dynamk3@aol.com

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Greetings Jerky, Reloading is very worthwhile, if you enjoy it? I have
just reacquainted myself with this,
after years of absence. I purchased
a RCBS Master Reloading Kit w/ a
"Rockchuker" press. It is complete
and has all the goodies you will
need in order to get started. The
ONLY exception, is the set of dies,
powder, and primers. For one caliber,
I got in it for around $375.00 + tax.
I do not cast lead bullets anymore, so
I had to purchase these also for $16.00
for a quanity of 500. The kit also has
a Speer Bullet Manual #13; included in
the package. I think you would really
enjoy producing "custom ammunition", as
it gives you a real sense of pride in
your creations. Hope this helps some !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

HS: If I order reloading machine from US supplier for one piece only, do they ship it to Philippines and how much it cost all.

Also, being a neophyte with this purpose, was it safe to reload bullets, I mean during the reloading, is there no such great accident happened in the past, like in the manufacture of firecrackers.

Thanks

Jerky,

Reloading is worthwhile if you enjoy it as a hobby: researching, assembling, testing and tweaking new loads can be great fun. It makes sense if you want to shoot loads that aren't available commercially (such as inexpensive .45 ACP bullseye loads) or if you want to maximize your gun's performance by customizing its ammunition.

If you just want to save money, and you're shooting something like 9x19mm or .38 Special, it might not be worthwhile. The key factor is time: if you enjoy reloading, then time spent reloading will be recreation for you; if you don't enjoy reloading, then time spent reloading is work and it isn't worthwhile unless you want to work for $5.00/hour.

What calibers do you shoot?

Jerky and Stdalire,
Do a search in the reloading forum. This question has been asked many times. You'll get a world of info on just about anything you want to know.

To answer everyones questions...

I think reloading would be recreation for me. I think it would be alot of fun testing my own ammo and maybe even selling a few boxes to my friends. I shoot 38 special and 40 S&W. I also shoot 12 ga shotgun.

Ive been checking out the Lee presses. they seem to be decent and the prices are great. If i pay $10 per box of 50 .40cal how much per box (estimated) do you save by reloading ? Another question i have is, whats the process? do i just buy brass,promers,powder,bullets and go to town? I understand there are alot of factors. Im going to do alot of homework in this area before i make a move. I dont want to blow myself up. Also, i live in an apartment. Do i need a bech to hold the press? I'd hate to use the dining room table in fear of my own bullets being used against me by my girlfriend.

Any info/links/advice is apreciated.

------------------

Reloading can save you alot of $$.. IF you shoot a LOT.

I reload 380 9mm 45acp 44 mag 223, 30-06 and SOON .375 H&H magnum.

But between myself, my dad and all my friends who re-load i could borrow dies for damn near any caliber i wanted.

I use a Dillon 550 progressive press for handgun and an RCBS Rockchucker for Rifle ammo.

Reloading CAN get tedious which is why you should NEVER do it when you are tired or easily distracted.

BTW... my FAVORITE handgun reload of ALL time is a 45 ACP 200 grain hard cast semi-wadcutter and 4 grains of RED DOT in mixes cases and CCI large pistol primers... makes THE BEST and MOST economical plinking load.

Most accurate/badass load was a special recipie 45 acp 185 grain truncated cone hollow point bullet on top of 9 grains of accurate arms #5 in federal nickel plated brass cases and a cci large pistol primer. That baby SCREAMED, but still is below a +p rating for saami spec.

Disclaimer:
your results may vary.

(reloading data is for comparison only, always approach maximum loads with caution, do NOT exceed saami specat any time, ALWAY start at the LOWEST recommended charge and work up to your best load)

Dr.Rob

Reloading is fun, and you save money to boot. For your .40 load, figure about $.025 per round for powder and primer. Use your old brass so don't add anything for that. You can get 1000 180gr JHP for $75 from http://www.montanagoldbullet.com so that's $.075 per round for the bullet. Your box of 50 would then cost about $5.00.

I would advise against selling handloaded ammo to your friends. Let them shoot all they want and maybe they'll reciprocate in some way. But you probably don't want to assume the liability of being a manufacturer of reloaded ammunition. Unless they are very, very, very good friends you won't want one of your "special loads" in their gun when it decides to come apart.

------------------
"An unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Cesare Beccaria, the father of modern criminology

[This message has been edited by Sport45 (edited November 17, 1999).]

Greetings stdalire; Yes, sir you can order
a complete kit from any of the major American
supplier's listed on the net. Be advised that
the RCBS Master Reloading Kit that I spoke of
on the previous post DOES NOT include powder,
primers, or bullets !!! These have to be purchased separate. I would suggest contacting the dealer of your choice, either
by e-mail and/or phone to verify the TOTAL
COST; including shipping and handling. The
most dangerous part of this process for
ANYONE using the automatic primer feed tubes
as supplied in the master kit, is ALWAYS
the handling of primers. When filling the
tube the IMPORTANT thing to remember is,
DO NOT exert more than 5 pounds of pressure
on each primer. Be VERY CAREFUL while reloading; after the tube is in place;
DO NOT place your head directly over
the top of the primer tube; as their
have been documented cases of one
primer exploding, setting off a chain
reaction of exploding primer's, and
KILLING the operator by driving the
tube slap through his brain !!! This
was only ONE isolated case; but it
certainly could happen again !!!
stdalire, hope this helps some and
if you need any further info or help
I am just an e-mail away !!!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan
Message was edited by Dan H. Ford on 11-17-99

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I will definatly be buying a press once im out of this lease and back in the country. Since i wont be reloading for 5 more months, any idea where i can get the best price on pre-loaded ammo? Im looking for a place that does not require an FFL to buy ammo via the net. Im in maryland. the cheapest i can find for .40 cal ammo is $12/box of 50. Im sure someone here buys ammo through the net. And ive seen some of the prices. But i dont want to order a truckload at a time. Maybe 5-10 boxes or so. Any ideas ?

------------------

Hey Jerky, Check out Cheaper Than Dirt, on the web. Sorry, don't have their e-mail at
this time; but all you should need is a
copy of your driver's license, and you
can buy any amount that you want too?

------------------
Ala Dan

Jerky, I'm in Australia so I can't vouch for these guys but they're having a SALE ! :D
http://www.midwayusa.com/truckload.html
The 2nd price is their Sale price.
40 Caliber 180 Gr. Full Metal Jacket (100) 608-176 $13.99 $11.99
40 Caliber 180 Gr. Full Metal Jacket (500) 523-758 $53.99 $47.99
40 Caliber 180 Gr. Full Metal Jacket (1000) 697-961 $94.99 $85.99

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

[This message has been edited by HS (edited November 18, 1999).]

I am scanning the TFL posters and I neglected to read the other input on this thread.

I just want to say thank you Ala Dan for the information you gave me about the subject hereon.

Thanks

Happy New year to all

Back