Re-Blue or not to re-blue

BoogieMan

I just picked up a Frommer stop in untouched condition. Nothing special other than being a 100 y/o pistol. About 70% blueing left maybe a little less. Looks like holster wear to me. Gun has a perfect bore and the rest of it (so far) is in very good mechanical condition. IMO its the perfect weapon for a refinish. No historical value and very serviceable. I plan to enjoy it at the range on occasion and thats about it. I dont expect to ever re-sell or enter it in any show. LOL
So what is the general consensus on a re-blue? Who will do a good quality job? Are there any DIY kits that work well? I have a full machine shop at my disposal to remove any scratches and or polish it up a bit.

If there is no collector value then re-finish is an option although with 70% of the original blue left I would leave is as is.
I just prefer the look of a well used tool.

As for re-bluing I started Dura-coating over re-bluing.
Simple process.
If done right and it is easy; the results are great.
Just my nickle 98

It's yours, you want to do it, and it's not a rare, historical piece.

In another century, we'll be cursing the folks who didn't refinish and preserve the metal.

Im going to sleep on it for a while. I can always re-blue but it will take 100 years to get the current finish back.
pix568446901.jpg

These are the pre purchase pics. I would call this 70%. What you guys say. The bore is shiny and crisp. Mechanical looks like it has very few shots down the tube. Much better than I expected.

I think your pistol looks great as is. I would only refinish it if you were planning to make it an everyday carry piece and were worried about corrosion.

"...it's not a rare, historical piece."

Maybe not, but they certainly are in the collectible category and if not rare are at least uncommon. That finish is good enough that I think most collectors would advise against any type of refinish, which would only decrease the value.

Jim

Maybe not, but they certainly are in the collectible category and if not rare are at least uncommon. That finish is good enough that I think most collectors would advise against any type of refinish, which would only decrease the value.

Jim

I agree with Jim 100%. I would love to add a Frommer in that condition to my collection. I wouldn't even think about refinishing it.

You guys have said pretty much what I was already thinking. I cant wait to have a couple of free hours to do a complete disassembly and cleaning. The bolt has some scratches from debris (looks like sand) and being cycled. I think it will be a great shooter and conversation piece after careful cleanup and lube.

It looks fine to me just leave it alone.

I have found that refinishing pistols with minor blueing wear, like yours, is an economically losing proposition.

It is very hard to recoup the price of a blueing job, even if done on historic collectable pistols. Gunwriters claim otherwise, but they are shilling for gunsmiths and expecting favors in return.

I'd leave it alone - it has genuine wear for the age of it and it has "character".

Personally, if I saw it on a table and there were two of them - one with the original finish like yours and one that has been "painted" to look pretty . . . I'd walk by the one that was painted every time. Regardless of the value as far as collecting . . . I appreciate vintage and antiques for what they are . . . but that's just my opinion and others may disagree.

I think, at one time, something like this was said about every gun that today is a rare, historical piece.

And, a gun that is 100 years old (not the design, the actual gun) does have some history, I think.

I could see a reblue, if the finish was gone...

Its your gun, and your money, you should do what makes you happiest. If you do decide to refinish, have the decency to have it returned as close to factory original as practical.

Don't do what I saw done to a P.38 one time. Gun was WWII capture (no import marks), all matching, mags and holster 43 date, was prime except, it had a very nice nickel finish. The owner had done what he wanted, and it was very pretty. His widow, on the other hand was having trouble selling it, as collectors wouldn't touch it because of the refinish, and shooters wanted something modern...

Back