Re 300 AAC/Blackout/whisper

ADIDAS69

Looking for recommendations for off the shelf 300 Blackout bolt action rifle threaded barrel, $1600 top end for gun only. I’ve seen things like Christianson Arms in the $2K any chance it’s worth

I have a Remington 700aac. The stock it came with (Houge over molded), was too flimsy in the forend for my liking. I put a Boyds stock with a adjustable comb on it…much better, but heavy.

I run a Vortex LPVO 1-6 on it as it is 90% dedicated to shooting Subs, suppressed. With my 7.62sdn6 and my sub load w/208gn amax’s. The impact on steel @ 100yds is much louder then the shot. Giggle inducing quiet around the gun. Ive had guys ask if i was shooting an air rifle.

I dont know what the cost of one of those is today. I bought it off the rack at a gun store a-bunch of years back. I think i paid around $600ish then.

I saw Remington is still making 700’s and figured to go with that but haven’t talked to anyone that’s bought post bankruptcy/breakup. I bought an M24 and an off the shelf “Long Range” 30-06 and with optimum charge weights they shoot equally accurately so I’m not wedded to the idea that more expensive is always better. I think my local Sportsman’s Warehouse actually has a Rem700, I like the MDT chassis.

I wouldn't spend anywhere near that much for a 300BO bolt gun. The cartridge isn't accurate enough nor does it have the ballistics necessary to benefit from a rifle like that.

Something like this with a street price under $500 will give you all the performance a 300 BO is capable of.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26968.html

If it were chambered in a cartridge capable of 1/2MOA at 400 yards, then I'd have no problem recommending a $2000 rifle.

My buddy just bought the CVA Cascade in .300 BO. I didn't get to shoot it but it is way better built than the Ruger American Ranch I own. I have the older Ruger with the rotary magazine, and I like the flush magazine better than the new AR style. I really like the BO, it's a lot of fun suppressed. I don't think I'd spend $2K on a BO, but I'd easily spend half that on a rifle in this cartridge.

Ruger American or mini Howa. Use the money you'll have left over for a scope and ammo.

I don't see the fascination with the 300 Blackout, personally. Sure, low recoil and you can suppress it. Meh.

Accuracy of the 300 Blackout is not necessarily bad, but I'm not sure I would take one on a hunting trip unless we were hunting prairie dogs or jack rabbits.
For the cost of the ammo you can shoot 4 or 5 times as much 7.62X39 or 5.56/223. And the ammo can be hard to find.

Scorch said:
Accuracy of the 300 Blackout is not necessarily bad, but I'm not sure I would take one on a hunting trip unless we were hunting prairie dogs or jack rabbits.

There are several places I'd not be afraid to hunt with the .300 BO. I'd use it anywhere I'd use a good old .30-30 rifle, admittedly it lacks the cool factor of hunting with a .30-30. Like black bear and mountain lion hunted with dogs or BB over bait. Deer or deer sized game and smaller to include hogs from a blind at a feeder.

I'm not saying the .300 is the end all be all short range hunting cartridge. It just works as well as some more traditional rifle cartridges that are deemed adequate still. Bullet technology for the .300 BO has increased the efficacy of the cartridge as well as a game getter since it's inception.

I also look at it as a great low recoil, low report trainer for new shooters wanting to step up from rimfires. Even without a suppressor it is more quiet than your average .223 and about the same recoil level. I know from the experience with my daughter report was a far bigger issue for causing shooting problems than recoil.

stagpanther said:
Pistol, yes--rifle, agree "meh."
I differ, while I enjoy my BO pistol my favorite way to use the cartridge is in a rifle. It's way more precise in the rifle, and I've rang steel at 300+ yards with subsonics with boring consistency. All you hear is the sound of the firing pin dropping and the bullet striking steel a short time later.

My pistol is really a 50 yard and in for most work, I can stretch it to 100 yards but I have to use supersonic bullets for best results. Mainly the issue with my pistol is the RDS I'm using. I just has a 2 MOA dot and nothing else, so it's harder to be precise without the right target.

Everybody can have their own good reasons.
I'm not going to give myself heartburn over your choices. Especially if you are happy.

Folks get wrapped up in numbers. "Better than" "Best" etc.

Was it the Remington Model 25 that was a pump gun available in 32-20 and 25-20 ? The Winchester 92 is another. Plus some single shots.

Could you get excited over a Remington 25 in 32-20 ?

We might start with the AR-15 Barbie Doll factor. We find a leftover barrel nut in the spare parts box and have to build another gun.

One excuse for the 300 Blk is the short barrel . If you want to use standard AR-15 mags and BCG and a 9 in or 10 in bbl, a 5.56 and 77 gr bullets is mediocre. IMO,its different with a 16 in bbl. You can get some fps.

300 Blk is a good compromise for short barrel efficiency in an AR.
For Home SD? Supersonic expanding 125 gr (or so) 300 Blk loads IMO compare pretty well to a .357 mag, generally regarded as a good SD round.
I,myself, am unlikely to buy a suppressor. They are cute,but not a priority for me. So that aspect of the 300 Blk ,for myself,doesn't matter.

Its not a miracle cartridge. No magic! I think a lot of folks don't have access to more than a 100 yd range. The 600 yd shots just aren't a thing. A fair number of white tails are 100 lbs or less.
Grandpa may have taken a lot of deer with his 32-20.

What is more fun to shoot than an M-1 Carbine?

Accuracy? Its a package deal. The gun,the ammo,the shooter. What reason would cause the 300 Blk of a serious handloader with a Bartlein barreled Howa in 300 Blk to be inaccurate? It could be a delightful shooter.

Yeah . We can say just about every cartridge is "Better" somehow.

But "Good enough" is not bad. It can be a sweet spot.

@HiBC: What a thoughtful perspective! I have some shooting friends, whose attitude could be improved by reading your post. (Mostly the younger set.)

One virtue of the 300 BLK which has been so far overlooked, is the economy of shooting it, IF you're a handloader. Every range I've visited is literally carpeted with .223/5.56 brass. And I do mean literally. I have so many 5 gal buckets of .223 brass, that most of the time, I don't even bother to pick my empties up.

What you do is spend 40 $ at Harbor Freight for a 2 inch blade, mini metal chop saw. Cut the .223 brass about one blade's width below the bottom of the shoulder. Make one pass into a .300 BLK sizing die, trim and chamfer. You now have a free piece of .300 BLK brass. Years ago, I bought a bulk load of Remington 125 grain, .308 diameter spire points. Never had any use for then until the 300 BLK came along. So, for me, it is just of the cost of powder and primers.

A .300 BLK bolt gun makes a good range toy. I wouldn't want to hunt a 400 pound mule deer with it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the blackout for a 100 pound Texas white tail.

Last edited:
Everybody can have their own good reasons.

Folks get wrapped up in numbers. "Better than" "Best" etc.

Was it the Remington Model 25 that was a pump gun available in 32-20 and 25-20 ? The Winchester 92 is another. Plus some single shots.

Could you get excited over a Remington 25 in 32-20 ?

If I ever run into one in 25-20 I could afford you bet I'd be excited. Make a nice companion for my Winchester 92 in 25-20.

With 4 carbines matching single action revolvers I've even contemplated a custom conversion of a Blackhawk to 25-20 just to complete the set...

Back