RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure Micrometer Adjustment Screw

rklapp

I'm trying to take out the micrometer so I can clean everything so I can sell it. Can't find any instructions. I got the cap off with the hex screw. The body screws out then stops at the end of the threads. Don't remember how I assembled it in the first place. I see they have a quick change feature now, dammit. TIA

Attachments

• rcbs.jpg
    rcbs.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 83
Screw the plunger in toward the body of the PM, not out through the end of the micrometer body. Then remove the plunger through the powder hopper.

Loosen the set screw and slide the adjustment sleeve off. Loosen the body via the hex fitting at the end and then unscrew until it comes loose. If you were using the small (pistol) measure, it will slide out of the hole as an assembly. If you were using the large (rifle) measure you must unscrew the valve/measuring piston from the body and then remove the measuring piston through the hopper. Then you can easily slide the round housing out of the frame.

Hope this helps. I have gotten used to it...

Thanks but don't see it there.

If you were using the large (rifle) measure you must unscrew the valve/measuring piston from the body and then remove the measuring piston through the hopper.
This is the part I'm having trouble with. When I unscrew, it stops at the top of the body where the threads end.

Here's the product page but don't see user manual here.
https://rcbs.com/Products/Powder-Me.../Accessories/Micrometer-Adjustment-Screw.aspx

Last edited:
This is the part I'm having trouble with. When I unscrew, it stops at the top of the body where the threads end.

That because you are trying to remove it like the small one. You can't because it's too big. Screw the measuring screw the other way into the hopper (make sure the cylinder is pivoted so the screw points to where it can go into the hopper), then remove the screw from inside the plastic hopper).

Once the screw is out, the measuring part unscrews normally, the the cylinder slides out easy peasy.

The manual only says this:

To remove a measuring cylinder for cleaning, first remove the measuring screw assembly in the reverse order of how you assembled it. The optional small measuring screw assembly can be removed from the front of the powder measure, but the large assembly must be disassembled and the measuring screw must be removed through the top of the powder measure.

Last edited:
That because you are trying to remove it like the small one. You can't because it's too big. Screw the measuring screw the other way into the hopper (make sure the cylinder is pivoted so the screw points to where it can go into the hopper), then remove the screw from inside the plastic hopper).
Once the screw is out, the measuring part unscrews normally, the the cylinder slides out easy peasy.
I'm screwing the screw into the hopper. When it reaches the end of the threads, it stops. It's properly oriented. And the head is not binding on the inside of the hopper because it stops even when the measuring part is not attached to the cylinder.

I tried calling RCBS but I'm in Hawaii and they close at 11am so will try again tomorrow. I bought it 4/17/17 so hopefully they can help.

Sorry, my directions was based on poor memory. You need to unscrew the piece the adj. screw screws into from the cylinder. Then screw it off the adj. screw. Then the adj. screw just falls into the cylinder.

Here's a quick video I just made to show you. Click the link below:

https://vimeo.com/363720922

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. At 42 seconds, that's when it stops and won't unscrew any further.

The RCBS customer service said the threads might be bad and to mail it to them with a note. Deciding if it's worth the shipping, just so I can take it apart to clean it.

Just realized that you were trying to remove the the mic version so I made another video for you.
Maybe your problem is how far you screw the screw in. Notice that I first try to screw it one way then realize the part won't unscrew completely out of the cylinder unless you screw the adj. screw in a little further. Watch this one:

https://vimeo.com/363724950

I just read your last post.....at 42 seconds (first video) it ought to screw right off. Buggered threads then or something stuck on them.......you don't have a buddy with a set of thread dies? That would take 10 seconds to twirl the die on and fix the threads. Look close at the trouble spot....maybe it's varnish or something....try a wire brush on it first.

I thought I'd help you identify the thread....must be metric. 3/8" dies are close but neither course nor fine was right. They do have a metric tap and die set for $16.50 at Harbor Freight's online site. The buddy idea is cheaper if such a one exists!;)

Last edited:
Yep, right at 46 seconds is where it buggers. Don't have a tool buddy so I'll send it back to RCBS. You should consider uploading the second video to YouTube. RCBS has a version of the first one only.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back