RCBS mould for 30-30

stubbicatt

Guys, I just acquired off Gunbroker an older Winchester Model 94. It might get here next week I suppose.

In the meantime I'm in the process of gathering the dies, mould, brass, etc., for when it arrives.

It will be used for Cowboy Rifle silhouette shooting in tubular magazine class, in addition to my 1905 High Wall in 32-40. I have found the 200 grain bullet in 32-40 is quite enough to reliably topple 200 meter rams, even at moderate velocities, propelled by 13.8 grains of 4227, so I am favoring a heavier offering in 30-30, and have pretty much settled on a 180 grain RCBS gas checked mould.

Any experience with this RCBS offering? I've been pleased with the 32-20 mould they make. Really nice, heats up quickly and casts really pretty bullets, but it is a plain base bullet.

I haven't used gas checks in many decades.

At the moment, I am favoring pan lubing, but I understand that the gas checks must be crimped in place on the bullet shank. I suppose I could get another die and punch for my Star lubrisizer, but I haven't tried to use the Star with the longer, round nose, flat point multi groove rifle bullets. Anybody have any experience using a Star with the longer bullets?

Another option is a comparatively inexpensive Lee sizer die and punch, not so much to size the bullets but more importantly to crimp the gas check. Any experience or advice to offer on this option? Say pan lube followed by a run thru the sizer to crimp gas checks?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

You will like the RCBS mold. I use one for 117 gr RN and the mold is so precise I do not need to sixe the bullets and the gas checks snap right on real easy. With my Lee molds I have to use a sizer and press the gas checks on.

Thanks Hartcreek. I called RCBS and spoke with a representative there who told me their moulds are designed to cast bullets to work with the Hornady checks. I guess that's what I'll be buying. As I understand it, they just snap right on to the bullets, and *may* not require a trip through a sizing die to crimp them into place. If not, I'll pan lube them and shoot them "as cast" without sizing.

Hartcreek, do you find that the gas checks stay put pretty well?

--An interesting aside--- I asked the RCBS rep if a bottom pour pot will cast these longer bullets well. He suggested that it would be just fine, only to slow the pour a bit. He also indicated that sometimes bottom pour pots will leave voids if you pour the melt too fast. I didn't know that.

Brass is becoming difficult to find in this caliber. I bought some Hornady brass from an Amazon vendor. I haven't used Hornady brass before.

I'm still not sure about dies. I'll have to think that through some still. I am pretty sure I have a Lyman M die in the garage somewhere that should flare the cases enough to accept cast bullets without deforming them. If I can find that die, I'll simply get a 2 die set. If I can't, then I'll either buy a new M die, or a BACO expander plug and use one of my other RCBS flare dies.

Part of me is excited at this new acquisition, part of me is dreading it. I purchased some MVA sights for it. A tang sight and a globe front sight. I've been watching youtube videos on the disassembly of the action for cleaning. It doesn't look terribly difficult.

I reckon a light charge of maybe 15 to 18 grains of 4227 or 4759 or a suitable charge of AA5744 and I'll be on my way. My velocity goal is somewhere in the 1500 to 1600 fps range. The brass ought to last forever, especially if I neck size only, which may or may not be possible with this setup.

Last edited:
As for ask about gas checks I use Hornady and also another type that is like Hornady but do not have it on hand right now of the name of them , but they are cheaper.and they crimp on.i use them on all GC molds.I also use RCBS and like there molds also and I have other makes.As for the M die i have one for 30cal and use it in all my 30cal carts. and works out good.Just get like you said 2 die set and I am good to go.

I have a couple of the Ranch Dog molds he sold before getting out of the business. I'm pretty sure that NOE is producing them now. They were designed expressly for the 30-30 and tumble or pan lubing. There is still some of his data posted on his site IIRC. Ranch Dog Outdoors

I have used some in my .308 with H-4895 simply for testing purposes and they shot excellent. I used the Gator Checks and shoved them through the Lee sizing die. I will say this that when dip lubing you will experience a ring of lube building up around the bottom of the Lee die depending on how you are dipping or pan lubing. My close friend dips his revolver bullets, then rolls them across a piece of aluminum flat bar to remove the excess before they completely cool. I have tried it but he seems happy with the results and says he doesn't get the ring of lube on the bottom of his dies.

I initially purchased the molds for use in my 30-30 AI Contender, but to date haven't loaded the first one. It just shoots the cheapest Win or Rem factory stuff so well, I have just been shooting that up to form cases.

I wouldn't hesitate to give some of the H-4895 a try if you have some on hand. It can be downloaded to a good extent if you start out with the Youth Load Data you should be right in the ball park for some good hunting ammo.

No mention of what the 180gr. 30-30s will be shot out of?
More often than not .The G/checking of a cast does not garner improve or guarantee better accuracy. A few other things factor in like slugging a bore prior. Chamber & forcing cone tolerances. Cast material used. BHN. And the list goes on & on. But once a caster/reloader learns that additional knowledge for the shooting of cast. He's at a whole different level in reloading.

Sure Shot, I just checked, and sure enough, I mentioned it is a Winchester 94.

And you are correct, I do not have the rifle yet, so I cannot gage the bore. The rifle should arrive Friday, which is a good day for the happy dance.

I guess the only way to find out if you like something is to try it, so I guess I'll try those gas checks.

Once I receive the rifle and the sights, if it isn't too ugly, I'll post a photo or two.

Back