RCBS jr. handle hold device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using a RCBS jr. for all my rifle (all handgun and .30 Carbine are handload on my 550b) handloading for about fifty years...so I don't know why this should be a concern now.

But it strikes me that a device (extension spring) should not be too hard to engineer that would hold the handle in the upright position (and the ram in its lower position).

The Toggle Block has a wavy tension washer in it, but that to the best of my memory, has never applied enough tension to hold the weight of the handle in the upright position.

So, what I am asking is: Does anyone make an add-on to hold the handle up on a RCBS Jr. press, or has any one come up with a simple modification that holds the handle in the upright position that they would be willing to post about.
I've had a Jr since the early 70s. it currently resides with a friend, so I can't look at it presently. Years ago, my Dad bought an angled plate from RCBS that the press rests on and keeps it angled back at a 5-7° angle. IIRC, I added another (or maybe a slightly thicker) wave washer to the hinge pin and it has kept the handle up for the last 30+ years.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

When not in use I just use a large rubber band around the handle and press.
I am looking for something that holds the handle up when in use. When the press is not in use, it is dismounted from the bench and lies on the floor so what position the handle is in is not an issue when so stored.

I have found that wrapping a bungee cord around the press and handle does what I desire, but I looking for a more elegant solution than a bungee cord.

I am looking for something that holds the handle up when in use. When the press is not in use, it is dismounted from the bench and lies on the floor so what position the handle is in is not an issue when so stored.

I have found that wrapping a bungee cord around the press and handle does what I desire, but I looking for a more elegant solution than a bungee cord.
Degrease the wave washer. Oil isn't really needed and it will improve it's function.

RCBS, Jr

Got mine in the early 60's and still use it along with several other fancy presses.

I, too, use a rubber band to keep the handle upright as I am tired of walking into it.

I've had a Jr since the early 70s. it currently resides with a friend, so I can't look at it presently. Years ago, my Dad bought an angled plate from RCBS that the press rests on and keeps it angled back at a 5-7° angle. IIRC, I added another (or maybe a slightly thicker) wave washer to the hinge pin and it has kept the handle up for the last 30+ years.

In other words you are saying that another wave washer works with a tilt-back block?

I prefer to use my RCBS Jr. in the vertical position, so that solution would not be useful for me...thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Last edited:
Degrease the wave washer. Oil isn't really needed and it will improve it's function.

Can you guarantee that degreasing the wave washer will hold the handle up, (have you tried it and been successful), or is that a guess? The handle seems awful heavy to be over-come by one thin wave washer.

I no longer have my 1973-vintage JR press, but I don’t remember ever having the handle fall - unlike its replacement RS-5.

Can you guarantee that degreasing the wave washer will hold the handle up, (have you tried it and been successful), or is that a guess? The handle seems awful heavy to be over-come by one thin wave washer.
Does it matter? I'm trying to offer you a solution (along with the others). Try it and see for yourself.

If you mean for operation, no. If you mean for storage, I use two pipe cleaners to hold it to the press. Have had mine since ~1982 and loading pistol requires a LOT of strokes so now it flops down quite easily. Maybe a new handle from Inline Fabrication might work.........

Does it matter? I'm trying to offer you a solution (along with the others). Try it and see for yourself.

Yes, it matters...I am look for a solution that has been tried and worked...I can find suggestions from any Johnny Sixpack sitting at the end of a bar.
This is what I specifically asked for: "...has any one come up with a simple modification that holds the handle in the upright position..."

I am not interested in anyone's guesses.

Since the OP has been deleted, we will assume the question has either been answered or withdrawn. Either way, this thread is now cloased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back