RCBS 45 Die Questions

A4*4ever

Inactive
Hello all...new to both the Forum and reloading. In a lot of RCBS loading dies that I bought, there is a set labeled "45-1.5. F.L." with a Group "L". The top of the decapping/sizing die says, "RCBS 45 X 1.5 F.L. SP. B". Can someone please enlighten me which cartridge this set is used for? Thanks in advance....sorry if it is just a stupid question.

Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself here.

I made your post its own thread so you get more response. Adding to an existing thread usually gets less.

When faced with similar but different numbers, it is always best to get the information from the horse's mouth. RCBS Customer Service is at (800) 533-5000. They will tell you the difference and any other information you want. They will also repair or replace anything missing that you may need.

Thanks to you both...have called RCBS but it's tough to find a person on the other end nowadays. Very glad that instead of waiting for the good folks there, I researched and found this forum as it looks like a great place to learn from others and share "sea stories" Semper Fi

I think I may have found it on CH4D's caliber lists. They call it a 458×1.5, and there is also a 458×1.75, a 458×1.8, and a 458×2. So these are rifle cartridges. They all share the same shell holder as the 458 Win Mag, and are likely just shortened versions of it where the number after the x is the length the case is cut to in inches. By that nomenclature, the 458 Win Mag would be 458×2.5.

If I am correct, then when you look at the inside of the die case mouths, you should see a shallow recess for the case belt. If there is no such recess, then my next best guess would be that it is for a 45-70 case cut down from 2.105" to 1.5".

In any event, it is apparently a wildcat and you would have to get a reamer made to chamber a gun specially for it. A chamber cast of the die is another way to confirm dimensions for such a wildcat cartridge.

Looks like Unclenick got it. But I was going to say that it sounds like ".45 American 1.5" which is .458 WM cut down to 1.5".
There was a time when it was a "popular" option in short action bolt guns, some lever guns, and single-shots (especially with the few people using suppressors at the time).

Thanks to all of you gentlemen....will try RCBS again just for information purposes and will post their answer if/when they get back to me. Meanwhile, I'll put the dies on the shelf and work on some of the cartridges that I know...SF

Unclenick said:
I think I may have found it on CH4D's caliber lists. They call it a 458×1.5, and there is also a 458×1.75, a 458×1.8, and a 458×2. So these are rifle cartridges. They all share the same shell holder as the 458 Win Mag, and are likely just shortened versions of it where the number after the x is the length the case is cut to in inches.

Looking closely today at the original case for the die set, I saw that there were two stickers on the case, one over the other. The sticker on the bottom said exactly what you thought Unclenick....458 X 1.5. Don't know why RCBS would have put a second sticker over the top which said only "45 - 1.5". The dies themselves are stamped 45 X 1.5.

Thanks for your help with this....great info!

Back