rattlesnakes in montana

tahunua001

hello all,
figured I'd ask this now, instead in april with all of the other rattlesnake threads. I'm just a little curious, since I'm planning on maybe doing a little hiking in montana next summer, what the rules are on killing rattlesnakes. are there different rules for timber rattlers and diamondbacks? specific conditions that must be met, etc etc.

To the best of my knowledge the rattlers in Montana are the common prairie rattlesnake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_viridis

They tend to be fairly shy and easy to avoid if you're on an open trail. You almost have to step on them before they strike. Another way people frequently get bit is when they're trying to kill a snake.

I haven't heard that they are a protected species and would be very surprised to hear they were.

A walking stick and keeping your eyes open are going to be your best protection from the snake. Be aware where you're putting your feet and hands, and look before you sit down :D

You can avoid them easier than you can kill them.

Their strike radius is nearly 85% of their body length, coiled or not, and they can move while striking, making it perhaps 100% and more.

Unless they are in my yard, or some area where kids or grand kids regularly play I don't recommend killing any snakes. If you're in the wilderness and see one in time to shoot it, you have time to avoid it. It is the ones you don't see that are dangerous.

Killing poisonous snakes around your house is rational. Out in the boonies? No point to it. Snakes are a control on mice and such. In some areas, more snakes = less chance of bubonic plague.

Here in Western MA, we don't have many poisonous snakes. Maybe the odd timber rattler in a few select spots. We do have a few copper heads, I don't know anyone who has ever encountered one.
They are protected species in MA, so killing them is not legal.
I completely agree with what Art said. If you are out in the back woods, leave em alone. Wear snake boots and carry a solid walking stick.
If around the house or barn, well, that's up to you. All snakes have a place in the natural world, and the benefits they provide when alive normally outweigh the danger they bring.
Many people may disagree with my thoughts on these snakes, and their conditions/environment make their opinions valid.

Ran into many rattlesnakes in California, Nevada, Utah, and Mississippi. Merely walked around them after either spotting them or locating the rattle warning. Most dangerous situation came about when a colleague shot and wounded a rattlesnake in the hills near El Cajon, CA. He deliberately did not kill the snake in order to have it "suffer" for being venomous. This unfortunate snake had no means to move and became a hazard trying to protect itself. Ended its suffering with a rock and almost did the same thing with the idiot shooter.

As previous poster mentioned, all snakes venomous or otherwise, are beneficial in controlling vermin.

should have known... need more specifics.

1. I am only looking for the rules specific to Montana.

2. I dont want to kill every snake I find, but if I'm setting up a camp site I'm damn sure not going to set up my sleeping bag 10 feet from a rattler and I somehow think I'm more likely to get bitten trying to remove a snake from my camp site than by just killing it.

3. although snakes do control vermin, a single snake is going to remove, what? 1 mouse per week? a coyote or bobcat will knock out a half dozen mice per night if there is no other easy food source around, so will owls, foxes, etc etc. removing a single rattlesnake is not going to mean a huge difference against the vermin onslaught.

We have timber rattlers here in the mountains of VA. Honestly, I let them be. They tend to run when a human or dog is near and will only strike if their space is invaded or they are cornered. They aren't rare but it is a critter that is helpful to the ecosystem.

Copperheads on the other hand are very aggressive and way too plentiful. They don't get off as easily as a rattlesnake.

I don't know where you are planning on hiking but I have spent a lot of time in the Montana mountains and have never seen a snake of any kind. So, I would think if you are in the areas that people normally go for the scenery snakes would be few and far between. I always took a little comfort in the fact that was one less thing to worry about. Bears yes, snakes no.

"...trying to remove a snake from my camp..." Kaa will do that himself if you leave him alone. So will Pepe and Yogi. None of 'em really like us.
Rules specific to Montana would best come from the State Fish and Game, or whatever it's called, types. E-mail 'em.
Killing poisonous snakes in your house is rational. Outside, not so much.

My sister lives in an old farm house near Gettysburg. If you do not kill them outside the house, the next place they are is in the walls of the basement. I pretty much leave them alone, but around the house, they have to go. I try to keep the high grass down, but did hit a copperhead with the mower out back two years ago. I have to agree with the others about one thing, most people get bit trying to catch them or kill them. They get around quicker than you think.

Depends on where you are going in MT Tahunua001. North of the continental divide the venomous snake population was pretty slim last time I checked. When I was a kid I spent every free moment in those hills and can count on one hand the amount of snakes I ran across, and zero of those were venomous.

From the Montana F&W website.......

Rattlesnake bites are extremely rare. Of the hundreds of thousands of hunters, hikers, and backpackers traversing Montana each year, only five or six report being bitten, according to the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center in Denver. The center also notes there was not a single death among the 45 reported prairie rattlesnake bites in Montana during the last eight years.

Sounds like to me, much to do about nuttin'........

Rattlesnakes are not protected in Montana. They are not listed as a game animal and therefore can be killed whenever encountered, as long as you are someplace that you are allowed to discharge a firearm. Having lived in Montana for 33 years, you will not find a rattlesnake in the mountains, almost all of them are in the eastern part of the state in the badlands.

Nice link to rattlesnake recipe. The flavor of fried rattler (minus Accent) is deliciously unique and close to chicken (could not resist the the comparison). Also had it grilled over wood fire and in a soup of wild greens.

Killed the rattlers for food during survival training in the armed forces. Would not kill them otherwise.

Watched a State Trooper TV Series, for Alaska, snake near the Trooper, he grabbed a rod that had a fish net on the end.

Used the none net end, scooped it up, threw it ten feet, did it again a couple of times, till it was in the bush, off it went, no muss no fuss.

Back