Rate of Twist in a 25-06

R&H

I am thinking about buying a 25-06 for use as light big game/varmint rifle. I looked at a couple of manufactures and noted that several had a 1 in 10 rate of twist but one had a 1 in 14 rate of twist. If this was the only factor is this enough of a difference to notice with light bullets (75gr.) or the heavier bullets (115-120gr.) I think that most guns will usually shoot one or the other better, is this correct? Or can I have the best of both worlds? The only thing I know about rate of twist is that a longer bullet needs a faster rate of twist to properly stablize. I was also wondering if it is possible to overstablize a bullet, or are radial forces caused by the high angular velocity that tear the bullet apart the deciding factor.

As the problem of stabilization goes, the heavier bullets, as a rule, need a steeper twist rate, i.e., 1:10 vs 1:14. Hornady, 3rd Ed, Nosler No. 3 and Lyman, 46th Ed all tested with 1:10. Lightest bullet tested was 75 grs, heaviest was 120 grs.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited March 19, 2000).]

Get the 1:10 twist if you want to shoot 120 gr. 25 cal. bullets. They won't work well with the 1:14. The 85 gr. bullets will probably do O.K with the 1:10, but this is not ideal for them. The truth is that you cannot get optimum performance on widely separted bullet weights in one rifle. All you can get is perhaps a workable compromise if you are wise enough to stick within fairly narrow parameters.
It is wisest to go with the twist recommended for the heaviest bullet you want to use.

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited March 18, 2000).]

The very best bullet for a 25/06 is a 100 gr for long range flat shooting on Antelope or sheep. The people who use the 120 gr bullets loose enough velocity that the killing effect is diminished considerably. If building a 25/06 the 10 twist is for 120 gr, The 12 twist is for the 100 gr and the 14 is for rhe 85 gr bullet

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gale McMillan:
The very best bullet for a 25/06 is a 100 gr for long range flat shooting on Antelope or sheep. The people who use the 120 gr bullets loose enough velocity that the killing effect is diminished considerably. If building a 25/06 the 10 twist is for 120 gr, The 12 twist is for the 100 gr and the 14 is for rhe 85 gr bullet[/quote]

Sorry about the mess up! I have to say this, I have hunted deer for years with the fine 25-06 and have NO complaints what so ever about it, but I must say that between the 100 grain bullets and the 120 grain I have seen very little difference. On whitetails up to 250 pounds a good shot equals an instant kill with a good sized exit hole. This is from 50 yards up to 300. I do agree that the 100 does shoot a little flatter though.

------------------
Carlyle

Back