Rate of Twist .270

JerryM

I have a friend in Africa who is planning to build a .270 cal rifle and will use the 130 gr Barnes X bullet exclusively. He has asked that the following question be posted :
What is the absolute slowest twist that will stabilize the 130 gr Barnes X bullet, OAL 1.185",at a velocity of 2500 fps, at a max range of 250 yds? His purpose in wanting that velocity stems from the fact that the Barnes X bullet petals expand more at the lower velocities. That surprises me somewhat, but he has dissected hundreds of animals over the past several years through both safari and culling experience. I realize this is a difficult question and maybe no one has a good answer, even with a good computer program. Thanks, Jerry

JerryM - I apologize in advance for asking this, but I gotta. Why is he "building" a .270 when so many fine rifles already exist in this caliber? And a 130 gr bullet at 2500 fps? Sounds like the worlds first "tamecat" load. Are you sure he is in Africa?

Mal, Your apology is accepted. Yes he is in Zimbabwe, and has been there since he retired several years ago. He is a savy gun nut. His shots are normally within 100 yds. He has found that at these short ranges 2400-2500 fps seems to be the ideal velocity for the best bullet performance. As I said, he has determined that by dissecting hundreds of animals. He uses the Barnes X now I think exclusively for soft skin game. He is aware of all the good cartridges available, but just wants to play with this I guess. Who knows why some of us want a wildcat when anything most could want or use is available. At any rate he does and although he has a computer program, he believes that the program specifies too fast a twist. I doubt that anyone has a very accurate answer to his question, but all I can do is ask, and see if we have a physics professor that is interested in ballistics. Best I can answer. Jerry

Back