Rarest M/N

CLC

I LOVE M/N's! and got to thinking what are some of the rarest ones owned, sold or seen in person by members on this forum? And as a silly side note what about rarest in the world :rolleyes:

AFAIK, the rarest are the Westinghouse Mosin Nagants made in the US under contract for Czarist Russia. A good Westinghouse Mosin Nagant will go for $600-$1000 from what I have seen.

The M91's built here in the US are actually not that rare although finding examples that havent been to Finland can be tough. Both Westinghouse and Remington were issued contracts for over 1 million rifles each.

IMO the M1891s that were produced in France in their original configuration and the M1907 carbine are two of the rarest Mosins out there.

You dont see alot of 91/59's around. The one I have is very light compared to other mosin nagant carbines. Not sure how rare it is, but I like it and its a good shooter.

I think there were actually 2 of the miniature Mosins made for the Czar.

Of the normal sized variants, one of the rarest is the Finn M27rv, which was a cavalry carbine modified from 91's and 91/30's by the Finns to their specification. Somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 were made, there was a very high wartime attrition rate. Some survived and are very valuable.

IMO the M1891s that were produced in France in their original configuration and the M1907 carbine are two of the rarest Mosins out there.

I would tend to agree with this one. The 1907 carbine (sometimes erroneously referred to as the "1910") is indeed a very rare bird, and I have only seen photographs of Mosin rifles made at Chatellerault in France. (I have also "heard" of a Mosin manufactured by SIG in Switzerland, but have never seen one.)

Another rare variant is the 8mm conversion done in Belgium during the Spanish Civil War.

Years ago, my cousin found a M/N New England Westinghouse factory armorer's cutaway in a neighborhood dump in south Florida, which I purchased for the princely sum of $10.00. I later sold it for a tidy profit, so I suppose that could be considered a "rarity" as well.

Not sure if this qualifies as a "rarity" either, but I have in my collection a Remington 91 that never made it out of the factory and never received a serial number. It is marked "No." with no number ever applied.

Although probably not rare I have seen a couple of DDR marked 91/30's and nagant revolvers. The weirdest one I saw was a all chromed M44. I figured Bubba had gotten to it.

A Finnish SAT mosin is pretty rare. Only 3 known examples are in the United States.
Another fairly rare one is the M27 RV. When one does show up, it generally sells for $4500 +.
Westinghouses are not all that rare. I have one and have seen quite a few over the years. I paid $150 for mine about 4 years ago.
The Finns are definitely the ones to collect. The variations make for some great collecting and the history behind them is very interesting.

Some of the rarest Mosins that I know of are, in no particular order...

-M91/24rv, a Finnish cavalry carbine (I think that is correct. It might be the M27rv)

-Finnish P-25, which is a relined (P=putkitettu=relined) M91 rifle. There are very few of these rifles and I have only tracked down one rifle marked as a P-25 and another rifle whose serial falls into the P-25 range but is not marked as such. Here is my data sheet on the P-series rifles.

-1907 Carbine

-Gendarmie Carbine. Only 11 were made and I saw one of them on Gunbroker just the other day.

-Single shot Mosin. Found one of these over on a Russian forum.

-Any of the semi-auto conversions.

To see more rare Mosins, check out my folder o' Mosin stuff that I pillaged from talk.guns.ru.

Also, here are all the photos I have scoured across the internet of Finnish P-series rifles.

I have read, but please don't ask where, that a few U.S. Magazine Rifle calibre 7.62mm Model of 1916 rifles were fitted with Pedersen devices. These, if they ever were, would have to be very high on the list.

I have read, but please don't ask where, that a few U.S. Magazine Rifle calibre 7.62mm Model of 1916 rifles were fitted with Pedersen devices. These, if they ever were, would have to be very high on the list.

It was an article in an older Gun Digest, which also featured a 1917 Enfield modified to use a Pedersen Device.

Back