Rare Marlin 1936 30-30

madhat

I have a rare "model 1936" marlin 30-3, Special smokeless steel. in near perfect condition, the action is fluid and nice very low serial number #3806 without a letter prefix! first run also has stock swing swivles which i guess were extra, kept in a gun safe and well taken care of looking for a trade or selling it

Attachments

• 20120808_084727-Optimized.jpg
    20120808_084727-Optimized.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 437
  • 20120808_085018-Optimized.jpg
    20120808_085018-Optimized.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 20120808_085105-Optimized.jpg
    20120808_085105-Optimized.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Is this an auction?

If the case colors are a re-do, they should have replaced the buggered screws on the tang while they were at it. The loading gate appears to be nearly unmarked from what I can see. Did someone add sling swivels and then never shoot it?

John

Last edited:
it isn't a auction i'm just selling it to the highest offer or what i think is reasonable.. the swing swivels are stock and it's never been refinished, just oiled and cleaned, the gun was shot regularly a few shots every year at the range it was kept in a gun safe

more photos

Attachments

• 20120808_084816-Optimized.jpg
    20120808_084816-Optimized.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,800
  • 20120808_084921-Optimized.jpg
    20120808_084921-Optimized.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 20120808_085245-Optimized.jpg
    20120808_085245-Optimized.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 235
Nice! The Model 1936 replaced the Model 1893 Marlin in 1936, but a few years later they were calling it the Model 36 (the 336 was introduced in the 1950s). I have never seen a case-colored Marlin 1936, but it could be factory. The case colors are really bright for a 75 year old gun, though.

The top of the receiver has been drilled and tapped, probably fairly recently as most of the older receiver sights mounted on the side of the action, and often there were two holes at the left rear from the factory.

The sling swivels are not factory. Uncle Mike's (Michaels of Oregon) was not in business in the 1930s.

well the swing swivels are placed so nicely it looked stock to me :) thanks for the additional info, i'm looking for a trade or money. this gun needs a more respectful owner and my hunting needs are for desert long range field

The early ones without the letter prefix were case hardened but that does look mighty fresh to be that old. If it's been kept indoors in a dark place and never used maybe. The sling swivels belie that tho.

The early ones without the letter prefix were case hardened but that does look mighty fresh to be that old. If it's been kept indoors in a dark place and never used maybe. The sling swivels belie that tho.

As do the holes in the top of the receiver...

FWIW, the Model 1936 was only made 1936 & 37, before changing the model designation to "Model 36", up to 1947 - when it was discontinued in favor of the enclosed round bolt Model 336.

ALL Model 1936's were color case-hardened, & had thinner Perch-belly forends, fluted buttstock comb & a HR buttplate.

No Model 1936's had letter-prefixed SN's.

I don't believe the OP's Model 1936 to be refinished - if it is, only an artist of Doug Turnbull's skill could do so, w/o messing with the perfect barrel & receiver stampings; AND the wood/metal fit, especially abound the tangs are perfectly even, an indication the wood hasn't been sanded since it left the factory.

The two D/T'd & plugged holes atop the rear half of the receiver are factory prep for a Hepburn rear peeep sight.

attachment.php

Some Marlin's of that time were issued with sling swivel / eyes - the Deluxe's.
They looked a lot like the Winchester Deluxe/Supergrade units (here's a factory Marlin):

RearSwivelSmall.jpg

If I had that rifle to sell, I certainly wouldn't sell it locally - I'd list it in an online gun auction with more/better pics and a full description, to realize the maximum return for it.

Last edited:
The two D/T'd & plugged holes atop the rear half of the receiver are factory prep for a Hepburn rear peeep sight.

Very familiar with the Hepburn Combination Sight...I have one on a 1912 vintage 1893...

When Marlin D+T'ed for it, they moved the "Marlin Safety" stamp forward so that they did not drill through it...

Pretty sure the one above was done after it left the factory...May very well have been done at the Factory, but I do not believe it was drilled before it left the first time...

Here's mine:

rjm8ah.jpg

i have many more photos to share, peter are you interested in buying the gun? i'm looking for a nice bolt action

Interesting - Does Marlin "letter" rifles, ala Winchester, etc ?

From what I am told, you are lucky to get someone that has even heard of the older models when you call 'Marlin' today...

Also, I believe there was a fire, and most of the records from 1906 to 1948 are simply gone...

The only reason I believe my rifle was shipped in 1912, is family oral history, and pictures of a hunt in late 1914 with this gun visible...

Cody firearms museum letters Marlins as well, not this new though.

That rifle has been re-done. Look at how the wood doesn't stand proud around the tangs and the case coloring on the lever is different from the receiver, the lever looks original. In my opinion they used to much bone in the mix which is why the colors are so bright and not subdued like the original.

Turnbull is good but there are others just as good. Wyoming Armory, C sharps, RGS, and Art Isaacson are just as good, granted Csharps are new models.

i know the history of the gun as it was in my family not yours... this gun was never refinished and the case was never messed with, the gun sat in my grandfathers gunsafe and my dad never inherited it, i did and i have kept in a case in my closet for a few months i'm looking to trade or sell because i can't care for a older gun i need something modern day weather proof! this is the deluxe edition marlin 30-30 model 1936, the gun was oiled and cleaned before i took the photos

Thanks, madhat, but I've long ago ran my course on collecting & amassing guns - only now keep the few I actually use, since I retired 10 years ago. (Please check your PM's)

I would advise you to put it in a www.gunbroker.com 7-day auction with a $500 opening bid ( and a hidden reserve if you wish).

In 2 weeks, your should be able to buy outright, the boltgun of your choice.

Be sure to include in your ad that the buyer's FFL should agree to accept shipment from a non-FFL (you), and mail it USPS Priority Mail with confidence & in complete legality.

Last edited:
Back