Ranking guidelines?

Erik

Say you wanted to peg someone as a certain class shooter. How do you go about doing it? Is it a matter purely of results in competition, or can someone be evaluated outside of competing? If it can be done by evaluating speed and accuracy I'd be interested in what the breakdowns are.

Thanks - Erik

It depends on the game. IDPA has a classifier; your total time will place you into one of five classifications. So in fifteen minutes and 90 rounds later you’ll know where you stand.
USPSA on the other hand has many classifier stages and you are ranked nationally. Many think the USPSA system is more accurate, every match has a classifier stage so in order to “sandbag” the classifier you also loose placement in the match.
What game were you interested in?

"What game were you interested in?"

It isn't so much that I'm interested in gaming as knowing. Background: Someone I shoot with asked what a Master and Grand Master shooter was, precisely. I didn't know, specifically, and thought that I'd find out.

Are there any bench marks such as "a certain class shooter should be able to shoot a given drill in a given time?"

Thanks.

There are even problems with the existing classification systems. In my opinion, neither the IDPA nor USPSA classifiers really test much other than your ability to shoot classifiers, since they tend to test skills in the wrong proportion to their importance to match performance. For instance, the IDPA classifier has fully one-third of the shots fired at 15-20 yards, yet you could shoot a half-dozen IDPA matches and never see a shot at that distance. Almost all the USPSA classifiers are shot from one position, at close range; nothing like the variety you see in matches.
The one test that has (sort of) stood the test of time is the El Presidente, essentially the granddaddy of all classifiers. Thirty-five years ago, seven seconds on the El Prez was considered "par", and if you could do it in six, you were something to behold. The El Prez has changed a bit, with the targets three feet apart, rather than three yards apart, but today, nobody really takes notice until you get close to five seconds, and the top shooters can do it in four.

Master and Grandmaster are classifications in USPSA where you are classified by your classifier scores compared to the best scores recorded.

Grand Master 95 to 100%
Master 85 to 94.9%
A 75 to 84.9%
B 60 to 74.9%
C 40 to 59.9%
D 2 to 40%

Back